one;

Eliah opened her eyes and jumped out of bed within seconds. Today was the first day of junior year, and she was finally ready for it. She'd spent all summer finding ways to draw the attention of the super hot Justin Foley, who recently started dating Jessica.

It would be lying to say Eliah wasn't totally bummed about him being with Jess, but the girl was on a mission. She would win over Justin's heart.

She drove to school in her best outfit and her brightest smile. After all, today would be the day Justin Foley fell in love with her.

Everything was planned out, and nothing could stop her. Except one thing.

She stepped into the building three minutes before the bell, according to plan. She met up with Zach and Bryce on the way, leaving one minute until the bell.

When the hallway cleared out and Justin was with them, she would strike. Except, something was different about today.

The bell rang and the intercom started up immediately after.

"Everyone please report to the auditorium for an assembly, please."

Eliah's plan would have to be pushed back a few minutes, but she was still determined. The four of them, including Justin, filed into the auditorium.

Mr. Porter stood up in front of all the students, using a podium to support him. "If I could have your attention please."

Everyone went silent and looked to him.

"I've never had to do this kind of thing before." He cleared his throat, "I regret to inform you that this summer we lost a student's life."

Everything was silent and Mr. Porter paused to collect himself, but Mr. Bolan stepped in.

"Hannah Baker took her life on Saturday."

The crowd of students looked mortified, and Eliah instantly forgot the plan. It didn't matter anymore.

Before Eliah started sleeping around, Hannah was her best friend. Eliah, Hannah, and Helmet forever. That's what they'd always said.

Eliah looked around until she locked eyes with Clay Jensen. Pain bubbled in her chest. What kind of person was she to leave her best friend in a time of need?

Eliah felt a hand, placed just above her ass, and she turned to see who it was. Bryce Walker winked and pulled his hand away, making sure to touch her ass on the way out.

"Don't touch me again, Walker. You'll be sorry you did."

He laughed and mocked hurt.

A hand grazed her shoulder and she turned to yell, but this time it was Zach.

"Are you okay, Eliah? I know you and Hannah were close." He asked her, flashing a concerned smile.

"It's whatever. We haven't talked in, like, a year." Eliah reponded.

She gathered her bag and rushed out of the auditorium. She wasn't staying at school. She didn't want to. She felt her heart crumbling beneath the crushing weight of the news.

Her breath was coming in short, quick strides, and she felt like she was choking.

She heard footsteps behind her, and she wanted to know who it was, but she didn't have the strength to. Especially if it was Clay. She would breakdown if it was Clay.

She couldn't look at him. She wouldn't look at him, and he'd have to deal with it.

"Slow down, Waters!" Tony Padilla called out.

She stopped and let him catch up.

"Hey, Tony." She said in a small voice.

"Hey. How have you been since.. you know?" He asked.

"I've been fine. I was fine. Now... Not so much. How about you?"

"I'm okay. Are you sure you've been fine? We can tell someone if you need." He wanted to change the subject. He didn't want to think about Hannah.

"I don't need, Padilla. Keep your mouth shut about it. Someone died. Let people dwell on that."

He called her name, but she continued out to her car. She threw her bag in the back seat and climbed into the front.

The tears that were threatening to spill, finally poured down her cheeks. She beat her head against the steering wheel.

"I'm so sorry Hannah. Please let this be a bad dream. I'm so sorry I left." Eliah mumbled under her breath. "I'm so sorry."