[4] If Only |2|

One shot #4

"If it's answers you want, then it's answers you'll get. Ask away."

Rikkard had expected a little more of a fight to get answers from her, but in her state, he suppose not.

"What is it that you are diagnosed with?"

She looked sullen, "What they call blood cancer, I think."

He paused, reeling for information he knew of 'blood cancer'. He wasn't very familiar with that strange term.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Why I didn't tell you about my sickness? Well, I... I didn't want you to worry. It's better that you think I'm on a joyous vacation rather than ill and close to death."

Rikkard was furious. It was not better to think she was avoiding work when actually she's weakening by the days. Then he caught himself, why does he even care? He is his secretary, not she is his wife! It is not theoretical for a man to display unnecessary affections and concern to his feminine secretary who is supposedly a man!

"There is no time to feel or do senseless nothings, Mr Linton." His stony facade didn't flinch.

That stung Lilly like a blade gliding and piercing the surface of her skin, and she anticipated for the real pain to fire at her. Telling Lilly how much he wouldn't worry about her just cracked something in her. Though, she covered it up with another of her blazing looks.

"And yet you took plenty of your time to see your incompetent and dispensable employer. Sir, you may want to check your facts."

Lilly internally prepared herself for the emotional impact and thought, here comes the stab...

His gaze never left hers, "This is a dire assignment that coincidently involves an 'incompetent and dispensable' employer. Pray tell, Mr Linton, the events that coursed that had caused this disease."

Lilly could only manage a small grin from her weak and numb facial muscles. Rikkard felt a twinge in his chest at the sight of it. "Of c-course Sir." She coughed. "I've had this disease for quite a while now. The only reason I was still on my feet was because it was a dormant disease. Now, the-the obnoxious and arrogant disease thinks it can take over me! How dare it does! Anyway, do you remember the time I had acted so strangely during work a couple months back?"

Of course I do, he thought. He remembered everything about her, how she reacts to the touch of men, her determination, her unusual actions months ago, and he did not have the knowledge why he does.

"Mr Linton, why are you not working in an adequate pace? There are still a lot more files to retrieve." Rikkard said disappointedly after demanding Lilly to visit him in his office.

In his eyes, Lilly looked a bit off... than usual. There was a certain nervousness in her actions as she fumbled with her fingers and wouldn't look directly at his eyes no matter how much she tries to. She didn't want him to read what she feels from her eyes. She didn't want him to know.

Rikkard found that he didn't like how she wouldn't meet his gaze. His hand found it's way to her chin, forcing her to look up at him. When she did, there was an unemotional haze that shielded her every emotion. That had sparked an unnerving cold storm in him.

"What is wrong?" He blurted out. He hated how closed and conserved she was now towards him.

"Nothing, Sir. Just a bit of a stomachache from the chocolates. It'll go away." She waved off. Hopefully, it was convincing enough to make him send her back.