Chapter 4

Irish stopped a middle-aged woman in the street to ask for directions. "Excuse me, I'm sorry to bother you, but could you tell me how I can get to this address?" As Irish showed the card to her. Before leaving the building,she thought that she knew the address and decided to walk down the street while carrying her box full of her personal belongings. Now she had to ask since she wasn't sure at all where to go.

    "Oh, I know this place." Smiled the woman, "It's that way. Just keep walking straight then after you pass the store you have to turn left then take your first right and it's across another store. Or you can take a taxi to drive you around these buildings."

     "Okay, thank you."

     The woman finally gave a wave and left when a young lady came up to her. Maybe it was her daughter and they move on.

     Irish looked across the street where she could see tall, terraced buildings. It's good to know that I'm close and don't need to get a taxi. I don't want to waste my money. I could walk whole day but I can't afford to ruin my heels while walking with this heavy box. So instead, she'll take a shortcut.

    She crossed the street and reaching the other side, she stopped. There lies a long,cold and menacing alley, just a gap between two old buildings. Irish thought it looks like a giant mouth of a monster waiting for anyone to be gobbled up. And I don't like the alley way. No one likes it. I'm sure there'll be cockroaches, snakes and even rats! My God! I wish I could turn back but this is the only shortcut I have to take and I want to save time and money.

     Her nose twitched as she started to smell strongly odor of stale urine and feces and other disgusting things scuttled underfoot as she carefully trod the length of the alley. Irish walked on.

    The sound of her heels made a tic-tac sound every step she made and it echoed down the concrete walls; around the deserted alley. Tightening her grip on the box she say a little prayer that she will not see any creepy living things that could scare her out of her wits or any drunk men that will suddenly appear to bother her.

    Walking from the dark part she reached the open alley; the sunlight gives her the feeling to calm down a bit. Quiet as the day, she saw no one around the place until she heard loud thudding sounds; right around the corner there were empty wooden boxes falling on the ground which made Irish flinched. Astonished to see the pile of boxes scattered on the concrete tiles, someone was staggering to get up from the fallen boxes. He had a hard time keeping his balance as he tried to hold on to something that may help him stand up.

     Quickly, Irish stepped back. She looked at him as a drunk man and she wasn't sure if she should help him. He looked worn out; his dark hair was tousled and his suit was dirty and messy.

     "Sir... are you okay?" She inquired. There's a little bit of worry in her voice but at the same time she was hesitant to help since he's a total stranger.

    The man stood up with his side facing to Irish. He adjusted his black blazer and smoothed down his slacks.

    "Sir, will I call an ambulance for you?" He then bobbed his head, looked around then to her; just noticed that she was standing there and all alone.

     "No, thanks." His voice is somewhat deep and sounds hoarse. He glanced around the place again as if he's looking for someone and doesn't care who she was.

    "Okay." She gave a half shrug and walked on leaving the guy she doesn't know. As simple as it is, the guy was okay or doesn't want to get help and she doesn't mind at all.

     Before she could get a distance she turned back to see if he's still there but found out that he's gone. Who is that guy? She continued to walk until she reached a three-way alley. No way! I don't know which way to go and it's confusing yet risky for me to just take any of it.

     She stopped scanned the place until she saw an old Chinese building, looking up to read the signage.

     ANTIQUES