Book 1: Gathering

Ara was awoken by bright sunlight that her closed eyes had suddenly chosen to register. Lastnight, after she had been healed, one of the kind elves had showed her to her quarters; a comfortable room in the city. She could not remember the last time she had slept in an actual, comfy bed. Sitting up, the young woman stretched her sore limbs. The Bender got up and took a bath, that she greatly needed. After she was clean, she changed into a pair of clothes that had been laid out for her, probably by an elvish servant. She ignored the dress that had also been left and put on the other option. It was a dark green shirt with grey trousers. Ara then pulled on her boots and left to find the others.

Ara's turquoise scanned for any sign of her new companions when a loud grumble from her stomach sounded. She hadn't eaten in days. That was it: food. Hobbits had a seemingly endless appetite. They were no doubt in the Dining Hall.

Ara walked through the elegant halls of Rivendell, deep in thought. The Elven city was even more beautiful with the midmorning sunlight shining down on its white-stone streets. She knew Rivendell well, as she had been here many times in her travels. The young Bender found the dining hall, and sure enough, there were the hobbits. They were chattering, laughing and eating together, unaware of the strange looks they were getting from some nearby elves. Ara got the feeling that they would not have cared, even if they had noticed. She spotted Strider sitting with them, a small smile on his face as he watched the little fellows. Chuckling to herself, Ara approached them and the hobbits stopped talking once they saw her. They grinned up at her, looking well-rested and healthier than they had the previous night. Strider nodded and smiled at her as she sat acrossed from him and next to Pippin.

"Mornin' m'lady! Are you feeling better?" Merry asked cheerfully.

"I'm as good as new, thank you. And you can call me Ara. I am no lady." she replied. The hobbits looked rather puzzled. What had she meant by that? Strider chuckled to himself. Ara tended to have that effect on people that did not know her. She did not like being called a lady, as it made her feel like a quote on quote "weak daisy".

"We're going to visit Frodo after breakfast. Care to come along? You did save him, after all." Pippin persuaded. Ara nodded as she helped herself to some food. She listened on as the hobbits resumed their previous conversation.

"So what have been your latest adventures?" Strider asked her. He was carefully prying for imformation. Ara sighed and looked over at the hobbits. She did not wish to scare them, so she got up and pulled him aside.

"I have been in Rohan for a year. It's not good, Strider. Things are worse than any of us feared." Ara said gravely.

"What do you mean?" Strider asked with a frown.

"King Theoden is not truly there. He is little more than a shell of what he used to be. All power is with his advisor. And the snake tried to have me killed." she explained quietly.

Strider's eyebrows furrowed, and his grey eyes sparked dangerously. "What?" Ara released a sigh, shaking her head.

"It's okay. The king's nephew managed to talk some sense into them, before he was cast out." she explained. Strider was visibly angry. Ara had done nothing but try to help that country, and that was how they repayed her? Before he could respond, a little hand tugged on his sleeve.

"Can we go see Frodo now?" Sam asked, looking up at Strider, who cracked a smile. The hobbit had always been the definition of protective.

"Yes, Sam. Ara, are you accompanying us?" he asked. Ara nodded and the three hobbits joined them as they went to the House of Healing. When they arrived there, Frodo was awake and speaking to Gandalf.