Book 1: Of Fire and Shadow

"A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you. Run, Quickly!" Gandalf ordered, his tone grim. The Fellowship ran towards a staircase, Boromir taking the lead. He had taken a left to go down the next flight of stairs, but their was none, only a vast, black drop. Before the Gondorian could fall off of the edge and into the darkness below, Legolas caught his shirt and pulled him back. Boromir gave him a nod of thanks and they began to descend the stairs once more. Aragorn and Gandalf were at the rear of the group. Aragorn looked at the wizard, wishing to know the plan. The truth was: there wasn't one.

"Gandalf." he began.

"Lead them on, Aragorn. The bridge is near." the wizard replied. Aragorn hesitated, so Gandalf shoved him onwards.

"Do as I say! Swords are no more use here."

Ara, who had been near to the back of the group, overheard the discussion. Swords may not have been any use... But she had more to offer than just a sword.

The Fellowship came to a gap in the stairs halfway through their descent. Legolas jumped across easily.

"Gandalf!" he called, motioning for the wizard to go next. When Gandalf landed safely on the other side, Boromir picked up Merry. He leapt the gap and landed next to Legolas. Ara then picked Pippin up with her good arm and jumped to the other side. Aragorn than tossed Sam to the other side, where Legolas caught him. He then turned to Gimli, intending to do the same. However, the dwarf's raised hand stopped him.

"Nobody tosses a dwarf." (A.N.: Who else pictures Gimli doing a sassy beard flip when he said that? XD)

Gimli leaped across the gap. He just barely fell short and began to drop. Legolas then leaned forward, grabbing the dwarf's beard.

"Not the beard!" Gimli griped as the elf pulled him to safety. Ara's heart froze as the steps beneath Aragorn and Frodo began to crumble. Aragorn remained calm and told Frodo to lean towards the others. The eroding chunk of rock fell over to the rest of the Fellowship. The two crashed into the steps the others were on and Legolas and Boromir caught them. The group ran once more down the staircase, steps crumbling behind them. They continued on until they reached the bottom of the stairwell and ran out onto the bridge.

"Over the bridge, fly!" Gandalf ordered. He stopped halfway to face the monster pursuing them. Ara skidded to a halt as well. There was no way that she would let the wizard take on this enemy on his own. The Balrog was a huge monster, made of fire and shadow. It had two long horns sticking out of its head and large bat wings on its back. The beast's eyes were as bright as the flame that covered its body. It was a terrifying sight, even enough to make Ara scared. Gandalf saw the young Bender walking up beside him and his expression showed both anger and horror.

"What on earth do you think you're doing? Go with the others!" the wizard thundered. Ara shook her head.

"I am not leaving you to fight this thing by yourself!" she shouted in reply. Before Gandalf could argue, the Balrog had come too close for comfort.

"You cannot pass!" Gandalf exclaimed, raising his staff defiantly at the demon. Ara unsheathed her sword, though she knew that it would do no good here.

"Gandalf! Ara!" she heard Frodo call from the other end of the bridge. The others had made it safely to the other side and watched wide-eyed with terror.

"What the hell is she doing?!" Boromir questioned, alarmed by Ara's actions. Aragorn and Legolas were uneasy as they watched their friends face the Balrog down.

"She's trying to help Gandalf." Aragorn replied in numb horror.

Gandalf brandished his staff, a blindingly bright light emitting from it. Ara raised her sword in preparation, but knew there was no preparing for this foe.