Chapter Twenty Two

A/N

Hello there! Sorry for the extremely late update I was kinda busy these past couple of weeks. I CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT TO 400 VIEWS AHHHHHHH!! Please, don't be a silent reader, it really encourages me when people comment their thoughts and vote.

HOPE YOU LIKE THE CHAPTER!

--

Alister took a hold of Valentine's wrist and tried to lead her away but she snatched her hand back.

"Elody's still there we have to go get her." She stated firmly.

Alister opened his mouth to protest but she cut him off. "Elody is my closest friend Alister. I'd sell my soul for her. I'm. Not. Leaving. Her. Behind."

Alister stared at her, willing her to give up but she held firm. Sighing, he gave in.

"Gimme a moment." She said before turning to Florence who stood by quietly throughout the whole conversation. "Untie my dress for me."

Florence raised an eyebrow but obliged, her hands running swiftly to the back of her dress.

"My skirt is removable. I'm wearing a knee length petticoat under." She stated when saw the confusion on Alister's face.

Once she untied the last bow the dress pooled on the floor leaving Valentine in her desired dress attire.

"Well if you don't mind I've got places to be.." Florence trailed off as she slowly began to walk backwards but Valentine stopped her.

"You can't leave now Florence, I need you to warn the White Queen and everyone at the Ball." She stated.

Florence sighed. "And just when I thought I could live a peaceful life."

She twirled her parasol in front of her but when it came back to rest on her shoulders she wasn't there. The parasol fell slowly to the ground before it too disappeared. Alister stared at it for a bit before turning his attention back to Valentine who was cleaning a dagger with a white handkerchief.

"Where'd you get that dagger from?" he asked.

Valentine looked up briefly but returned her attention back to the dagger. "I attached one to my thigh before I left. A habit Sabriel drilled into me."

She returned the dagger into the little pocket on her thigh she had kept it in earlier before looking up to meet his eyes. "Lets go."

They ran up the hill before slowing down to tiptoe behind a huge bush. It was hard to see anything at first and all they could here were strange noises. A figure came into the moonlight and Alister held back a gasp. The man wore a white jumpsuit that covered him from neck downwards and a white mask over his nose and mouth as he was ticking something off on a clipboard. But this wasn't what shocked Alister. It was Elody's limp body beneath him that was set down by three other men.

He could tell Valentine had seen her too because she moved forward a bit causing the leaves to rustle a bit. The man looked over briefly before turning away.

A small object caught Alister's eye that was set not too far from them. It was a small wooden flute with strange symbols carved on it. He pointed this out to Valentine whose eyes widened. She silently gestured for him to grab it as he was closer to it than he was.

When the man's back was turned he reached out and took a hold of it before passing it to Valentine. From the way she looked up ahead he could tell a plan was forming in her mind.

She turned to him abruptly and whispered her plan. It was wild but the he couldn't think anything up himself. Deciding to go with her rash decision, he began moving quietly so that he positioned himself right next to Elody. He watched her stand up from amongst the bushes and put the flute to her mouth. The symbols on the flute glowed a mysterious blue and the sound that came out was soft and melodious; just listening to it made him want to close his eyes and sleep. The man's knees buckled and he crumpled to the ground. Reminding himself to ignore the song, he rushed over to Elody and took a hold of her petite frame before rushing back to Valentine.

They began to run when several other men in similar uniform to the other man appeared. The came to a stop when they reached the White Castle. It was pure chaos. People were running around in fright trying to leave, others were running under tables and hiding. Amongst the madness it was a girl in white that caught his eye. Maybe it was her calm demeanour and the mask she wore or maybe it was the way she slipped out of the room unseen that caught his attention in the first place. Either way, he couldn't help but feel the Soul Compass warming up in his pocket had something to do with her. Deciding to check on it later, he ran alongside Valentine until they reached the Meadow. It was then that he noticed the blood dripping from her arm.

"Valentine are you okay?" He asked worriedly, examining her arm. There was too much blood for it to be any good.

She opened her mouth to speak but stumble and almost fell. Alister got a hold of her just in time.

"I'm f-fine." She whispered as he ripped a long piece of his shirt and tried to wrap it around her arm.

"No, you're not." Alister stated as he tied the last knot. He stood up and summoned his key just as The Door shimmered into existence.

"What're you doing?" She asked trying to sit up. "I have to go Shift soon Alister take me to the Hatter House."

"You and I both know you won't make it in time." Alister replied, putting the key through the lock and opening the door. "You're coming with me."

Valentine opened her mouth to protest but he cut her off. "You're too weak Valentine. Who knows what awaits you at the Hatter House! We had to drop Elody off at March's because her home had been attacked. We need to Shift in the next two minutes or we won't wake up at the Asylum and I don't know what happens if we don't wake up there but I don't want to stick around to find out either."

He picked Valentine up bridal style and jumped into The Door. When he woke up in the Asylum, Nurse Martha was looking down at him with a shocked expression. She walked away and came back with another nurse who went out and brought in a doctor. They all stood in the corner of the room whispering to each other and glancing over at him. He caught bits of their conversation as they said things like "how is that possible?" and "this has never happened before!" but he didn't know what they were talking about.

It was only when the doctor put a mirror in front of him did he understand what all the commotion was about. The roots of his once blonde hair was black and instead of a set of navy blue eyes, a green and blue eye stared back. Emerald green. A single name floated ion his mind.

Valentine.