Chapter 6

When they finally stopped for the night, Grim and the others ran about pushing levers and buttons to unlock the carriages and trailers to set up camp. It took only minutes.

After that, they helped where they could with the injured. Sam seemed quite apt at knowing what was ailing someone and helped out the apothecaries and physicians. Rudy quickly gravitated to wherever Sam was stationed, studying him.

Grim rolled his eyes.

Copycat.

He waited, wondering what he could do to help, when a young woman was asked to pick mushrooms and berries. Her sinth leg had taken damage and she was limping, so Treena quickly volunteered. Barny and Benny were eager to join. Grim thought it best to keep an eye on them so he followed the twins and Treena through the woods.

They wound through a deep maze of trees before finding a dimly lit patch where mushrooms grew in abundance. Grim could barely make out what appeared to be little faces etched into their sides. The twins ran about and picked small orange ones and placed them in a sack.

Grim reached out to pick one of the red ones, and hesitated when the mushroom began to writhe before him. It gave off heat and a foul odor and then he felt a sudden prick on his hand. He retracted his arm and put on his goggles. On top of the mushroom sat a small gnome-like creature. He was pointing a spear at him and shaking his little fist.

Treena rushed over, her sack dangled over her shoulder, heavy and full.

“Sorry, I should have told you,” she said. “There’s a little poem my grandmother taught me to remember which ones to pick:

Mushrooms red ― a gnome’s delight, pick them not or they will fight,

Mushrooms blue ― do not harass, for they are full of poison gas,

Mushrooms green are covered in slime, step through them and you’ll lose time,

All the others are safe to eat, especially orange ― what a treat!”

“Poison gas?” he asked.

She nodded. “It will make you sleep for days.” Treena pointed towards one of the spotted kind that was light blue and dappled with darker spots.

Grim ventured to pick a few of the orange and then backed cautiously away from the entire patch. The twins ran rampant through the lot, but somehow managed to avoid disturbing the blue ones.

They returned to the camp, where Grim licked his lips. It wasn’t long before dinner was served and Grim was filled to the brim with cooked boar. He passed on the mushrooms, even the orange ones, despite how everyone else raved about how they were the tastiest morsels they’d ever eaten.

No, thanks.

Naturally Rudy ate as many as she could.

Not long after that, it was time to retire for the evening. The sun had long set and they would be traveling as soon as it rose once more. Grim didn’t lie awake all night this time and fell asleep almost instantly, dreaming of flying air ships, ray guns, strange faerie creatures with goggles, and an orphanage filled with odd little mushrooms.

Grim rose to find their dads already waiting for them. They were preparing to depart and had a few last words for them as well as some things they wanted to impart to them.

The others plunked next to Grim as Poppa reached into a large satchel. To the twins he handed each a watch-like device that they wrapped about their wrists. It didn’t tell the time or date but there were numerous knobs and buttons to keep them occupied for hours. The most interesting thing the device did was project an image of its bearer twenty feet in front of them.

To Ellen he handed a doll that had a mechanical eye that extruded like a telescope. It had a hole in the back so she could see through the eye of the doll.

The head was removable.

Sam received something like an astrolabe. It showed the phases of the moons and planets and projected them into the air for him to study. He giggled with glee.

Rudy was handed a rod that, among other things, shot a blast of ice pellets depending on which lever you pulled. It also converted to a sword — a big one.

Grim couldn’t wait to see what he got.

Then Pop pulled out the last item in the bag…. a small figurine of a woman with an umbrella on a stand. It reminded him of Aunt Patrice.

And it played a little song.

Grim just looked at Poppa and said nothing. Rudy had a smirk as she played with her mechanical rod. The twins were rolling on the floor laughing.

Grim put the stupid thing on the ground in front of him.

What good is this?

Then Dad pulled out silver pocket watches. On each was engraved one word:Harland. This, at least, looked much more impressive than the figurine.

Grim thought maybe he could trade it in and buy something like Rudy’s rod.

Poppa gave Grim a quick wink before Dad continued. “We’ll miss you all, but we’ll see you again soon. Stay close to each other.” They rose. “We must leave now. We have to go after those that were taken by the Syndrone. We won’t leave them to a fate like that. Aunt Patrice and Master Galan will escort you from here.”

“Master Galan?” Grim asked.

Poppa pointed to the man that had arrived at their door. “He warned us that the attack was coming. We owe him our lives.”

The man noticed and took a deep bow, removing his hat.

Their Dad whispered to Grim. “Do try and stay out of trouble. Marveleous Thingrom is not a man to be taken lightly. He has a long memory. If he ever learns you’re in the City of Harkness, he will come for you.”

Grim nodded and swallowed down what felt like a lump of sawdust in his throat.

The twins and Ellen were teary eyed, but Sam sobbed and shook. The last time Grim had seen him cry like that he’d just lost his pet hamster. He gave both their dads a prolonged hug.

Sam then put his little hand in Grim’s and they stood together until their parents disappeared on the horizon. Then the six children wandered back into the tent to pack up their belongings.