Chapter 12

Flawless!” cried a haggard-looking Madam Adelaide.

Grim smiled at his success. He had fired a grappling hook up the tower where it fastened itself. He gave a yank and it held.

Sadly, the others had not had much success, especially Treena. Hers fired off and smashed one of the windows to the Academy, nearly beheading Master Galan. She trembled under the Tutor’s iron gaze and tripped backwards, grunting as she struck the ground. She cowered until the towering woman moved on to the next in line.

Madam Adelaide examined her fingernails. “Your turn,” she said to Rudy.

Rudy fired off her blaster and it barely flew past the first window.

“Not much better,” the Tutor muttered.

Treena struggled to get up from the ground, and when she did, her hand was dripping from a sticky red substance. Bright red, it sparkled in the sun.

Madam Adelaide grabbed her hand. “That’s Jinn blood, and it still sparkles. It’s fresh!”

“Is it my turn now?” Quinn asked, not noticing what was on Treena’s outstretched palm. His voice was low and hoarse and he had bags under his eyes like purple drapes. He’d been up most of the night coughing and pacing in the room.

Madam Adelaide rolled her eyes. “Fine, go ahead.”

Quinn’s shot barley made it over his head.

“How was that?” he asked and yawned.

The woman waved him off. “As expected,” she muttered and turned to Treena once more. “Where did you find this, girl?”

Treena pointed. “On the ground.”

The Tutor eyed her with suspicion.

“Everyone inside,” she said. “I need to show this to Master Galan.”

She ushered them in and Grim paused to look back.

Two things caught his attention. A bird roosting on the edge of a window across the street. It was red and white with one mechanical eye, and a serrated beak. Below it was a hooded man. He backed into the alley as Grim tried to get a better look. Then the red bird fluttered its wings and flew away. And the man was gone.

In the week that followed, an increasingly somber mood resonated throughout Madam Malkim’s. Rumors spread about Jinns in the city. Grim didn’t know what or who to believe and just nodded indiscriminately to all of the gossip and rumors that followed.

Madam Malkim called the attention of students and orphans alike in the Hall.

“There has been an event of some concern,” she said. “On three separate occasions a Jinn has been seen in the city streets, each time it was close to the Academy.”

There was near panic among the students, and hushed comments among the orphans about Gargoyles. Some of the orphans looked suspiciously towards them.

Grim leaned over the table to whisper. “Why is everyone staring at Dorian’s table?”

Quinn appeared stunned. “Don’t you know?”

“No.” He didn’t like where this was going.

“Gargoyles live in the Shadowlands. No one trusts them. And they experiment with things that are unnatural. It’s been said they are trying to find a way to revive the Jinns, just like the Darksworn.”

Madam Malkim continued. “I recommend caution and traveling in groups until the City can rid us of this menace. When there is more information to be revealed I will call another meeting. That is all.” With that Madam Malkim strode from the Hall.