Sensitive to the Light (Chapter 2)

====================================================================

Dedicated to McSnackiesz for becoming a fan.  You're Awesome xXx

====================================================================

Callan

Shit...

I shouldn’t have said that

Fuck...

I shouldn’t  have done that, but hell, I wanted to.

As my bare hand made contact with her beautifully soft skin, I let my my mind wander, allowing it to brush gently against the edges of her consciousness.

I couldn’t stop the involuntary shudder that ran through me as the probing tendrils of curiosity I had sent out to her snapped back to me like a whip, recoiling in shock.

"I’ve got more than most, but I’ll help you to keep yours too."

She was... Empty.

My hand fell into my lap, breaking the connection.  I was still looking into her eyes, trying to think of a way to explain why I had begun to shiver almost the instant I touched her.

A way to explain without sounding like a blithering idiot.

"Are... are you cold?" I stuttered.

Why does this girl make me so tongue-tied - more to the point, why do I even care? I never care.  That part of me died long ago.

"I’m fine."  She looked at me from under long luscious eyelashes, giving her eyes a sultry hooded appearance.  

Such unnatural eyes...

"Are you sure? I’m bloody freezing," I threw in an extra shiver.  

Before any more nonsense could spew forth from my traitorous tongue, the doors at the bottom of the Auditorium opened once more as students began pouring into the cavernous room and taking their seats.

I looked straight ahead, feigning interest as I fell back into my thoughts once more.

Empty.  How could she be empty?  

When I touched her mind it had felt like half of her was... missing.  As if she had been lobotomised.  

As though wildfire had ripped through her consciousness, burning and blackening  it to the ground until it was nothing but ash.

And the worst part?

She doesn’t know.  It had never been there to begin with for her to even realise that it was missing.

I couldn’t even imagine - every hour, every minute, every second of her existence half of her was just... gone. But how?  Why?