Sensitive to the Light (Chapter 22)

===================================================================

Dedicated to Jess AKA xxButterflyKissesxx for her amazing comments and words of encouragement  along with vital constructive criticism.  Thank you so much :)

===================================================================

“I need to speak to Daegan,” I said to Bette.  She nodded and this time Ann made no move to stop me as I left the table, stepping around the broken glass littering the floor.  I took my scribbled notes about the Prophecy with me, stuffing the paper in my back pocket as I reached the top of the stairs and made my way along the corridor to my bedchamber.

I knocked at the door gently, “Daegan? It’s me, can I come in?”  It swung open before me and I felt my heart skip a beat when I saw her standing on the other side in nothing but a bra and a pair of tight jeans.

“Sorry,” she smiled, a blush hinting about her cheekbones, “I was just getting dressed.”  She turned away from the door and I found myself unable to tear my eyes away from her pert behind and the way her faded black jeans clung to her buttocks as she moved. She bent forwards over the bed to rummage in a duffel bag and my self control came undone in an instant.

I was by the bed in the blink of an eye, looping my arms around her from behind, kissing and nibbling at her porcelain neck as a growl of both want and need rumbled through my chest and into my throat.  

She twisted beneath me so we were facing each other and I could see myself reflected in her ebony eyes, my face awash with desire.  She didn’t utter a word; instead she pulled me even closer towards her, inviting me to claim her lips with my own and allowing my tongue the entrance it so desperately probed for.

Time seemed to freeze as we devoured each other and I deepened the kiss one last time, long and lingering at her lips before I forced myself to pull away.  Her mouth was pulled up at one side in a suggestive smile.  “What was that in aid of?” she grinned.

“Your beautiful derriere.  You leaned over that bed and I just couldn’t seem to help myself...” I shrugged helplessly at her and she replied with an almost musical giggle as she brushed a stray hair out of my face. “Are you alright?  Why were you screaming?”

“It was nothing,” she smiled as I melted into her embrace, “Just another bad dream.”  I listened intently while she relayed the strange and surreal events, and as she did I resisted the urge to take the crumpled bit of paper out of my pocket.  

“Not today?  That was all the horseman said?” I asked, “There was no indication of when?”

She pulled away from me, shaking her head.  “No Callan, but as I was waking up, I swear I heard a voice say The Wild will rise’”

“The Wild?”  I sighed as I took the prophecy from my pocket and flopped back onto the bed, sinking into the mattress.  Daegan sat down beside me, resting her head on my shoulder as I smoothed the paper out across my thigh.

“What’s that?”

“It’s what we’ve come up with so far on this bloody stupid prophecy.  Your dream, you say the Hounds came out of the mountain?”

“It was like it erupted into a river of black lava, they just kept on coming...” She shuddered.

“Mountains yawn their mouths once more, torn asunder, to propose war.  That has to be the sixth verse.  I know it was a dream, but you seem to be integral to all of it for some reason.”

Daegan

“Me?” My face contorted into what felt like a very unattractive expression as I pulled my head from Callan’s shoulder and looked into his eyes.  It occurred to me that I could easily get lost in their pitch black depths, yet I found my own repulsive enough to shatter a mirror.

He smoothed the paper again as if it could provide him with all the answers just by touching it.  “One more day.  We have one more day Daegan, before the shit hits the fan.”

“What do you mean?”

“The Prophecy.  The first part is bad weather for seven days, it’s Saturday night - almost Sunday.  It hasn’t stopped.”  The sky lit up like it was bonfire night as if acknowledging his words as the sound of thunder rattled its way through the window panes.