Sensitive to the Light (Chapter 16)

=============================================================

Dedicated to LameeceDaBookwurm for leaving me such beautiful comments ',..,'

Music; 'Living Dead Girl' by the marvellous Rob Zombie

Oh, and there is a sex scene in this chapter, I've marked it with black lines like this ___________ At the beginning and end.  You know the drill.

=============================================================

Animae damnatorum

Perdidit per Dogs Belli

Accepit

Pati magis

* * * * * *  * * * * * *  * * * * * *

Daegan

I sat on Callan’s bed like a statue as I tried to rein in the tangled mess that was my thoughts, whilst giving myself a stern talking to in the process.

You don’t want to go to Hell, then don’t bloody die! Whinging and moaning and crying isn’t going to help, so pull yourself together and get over it already.

I let out a shaky breath, “I think I need some more Brandy,” I smiled weakly.  Callan obliged, filling my glass to the brim.  I was surprised by how steady my hands were as I brought the glass to my lips and took several mouthfuls without spilling a drop.

“So who is Fext to you?”

“He’s the man who saved my life, so to speak.  I would have died a little more... permanently if it wasn’t for him.  He’s the King of the Seven Houses.”

“The King?” I asked incredulously, “Vampires have a Monarchy?”

“Not exactly, he isn’t a King in the sense that you’d bow or curtsey and call him your Highness, there just had to be a way of identifying who was in charge.” He shrugged his shoulders, “It does sound a bit silly in hindsight, doesn’t it?”

“Just a bit,” I giggled, “Couldn’t you have had a Guild or an Association or something?”  It sounded so ridiculous I couldn’t stop laughing at the notion.  Callan’s face began to grow slightly less pale as I clutched my sides with mirth.

“You’re blushing!” I exclaimed,

“I am not, Brandy gives me a ruddy complexion,” he protested, looking slightly embarrassed.

“You filthy liar, you’re blushing and you know it.”

He began to laugh with me, “Shut up!”

“Make me.”

My snickering was abruptly cut off as Callan took me at my word, one moment he was sitting opposite me and the next thing I knew I was flat out on the bed, the glass falling from my hand and shattering on the wooden floorboards.  He crouched above me with eyes burning like liquid pools of night as he pinned me down before he pressed his lips to mine.  I responded without hesitation, as I sought entrance to his mouth with my tongue.  

He obliged with a throaty growl and I reached up to knot my fingers in his hair, pulling him closer as desire pooled deep within me.  He deepened the kiss, increasing its fervor, his canines lengthening and sharpening until they sliced into my tongue.  My eyes flashed open at the sudden taste of blood to see that Callans eyes were no longer black, they were red, blazing with need and passion as they bored into my own.