zhao yun // bodyguard (request)

In which Zhao Yun is a bodyguard to his superior reader.

I've written the reader as female because no gender was specified.

-------

"My lady! Are you alright? I apologize for-"

"Zhao Yun, it's merely just a scratch," I sigh, somewhat touched by his overprotective attitude. He fidgets nervously as I clean my bandages. The wound really wasn't more than just me not paying attention, but Zhao Yun was taking the brunt of the blame himself, just because he was a little late in getting to my side.

"But as your bodyguard, it is my duty to-" Zhao Yun starts. I press my finger against his lips in an attempt to silence him.

"Hey, Zhao Yun. Are you listening to me?" He nods rapidly in response.

"You did fine, don't worry about me, okay?" Zhao Yun's jaw muscles twitch.

"But literally, as your personal bodyguard milady, it is my job to worry about you."

-

"Milady, I trust you are unhurt?"

"Zhao Yun, the battle has yet to start."

He anxiously raps his fingers on the wooden end of his spear, eyes darting around the expanse that is the battlefield before us. I truly believe he's putting too much thought into protecting me, and he's blaming himself too much for the last battle, when in reality it was entirely my fault.

Putting the reins of my horse into my other hand, I reach across the space between us and tightly grasp his unoccupied hand. His body stills, completely, not relaxed, but very tightly wound, like a spring. I rub the backs of his knuckles in an attempt to get him to loosen up. Soon, I can see the muscles in his shoulders and back relax, his Adam's apple comfortably moving once more.

"I trust you, Zhao Yun," I speak into the brisk air. The sun is finally starting to appear over the horizon, just barely peeking out over the mountaintops. "I trust you with my life, and you know it."

I turn my head towards him, squeezing his hand to get him to look at me.

"You are my bodyguard, and you are also my love, but be sure to discern between the two during battle okay?"

Zhao Yun smiles, a bright, dazzling thing, the way he used to smile before the land was thrown into chaos once more.

"Of course, milady."