ma dai // after ending (request)

In which the reader is written as female and as Ma Dai's superior, per request.

-------

"It's almost as if we did all of this for nothing."

Ma Dai tosses a ripe peach between his hands, finally taking a bite out of it as he perches on the railing overlooking the Tongquetai cross the river.  I chuckle to myself, plucking the juicy fruit out of his grasp. Ma Dai smiles and laughs under his breath as he sucks the juice from his fingertips.

"What do you mean, nothing? If anything, I think the state of this land has improved since this camp was built."

I take a large bite out of the fruit as well, a trail of the sweet juice dripping from the corner of my mouth.

"Here, let me get that for you, milady," Ma Dai says, reaching a thumb out to wipe the straying juice from my chin. I roll my eyes in response, hoping that it's enough to distract him from my blush. I finish the peach in a few large bites, tossing the pit into the dirt. The sun is beginning to set and the fireflies are starting  to come out now. The air is crisp, and time seems to slow down a bit here. I lean on the railing next to Ma Dai, stealing glances up at him out of the corner of my eye. The last bits of sunlight are bouncing off of the metal on his hat and armor, casting him in an unearthly orange glow.

"You keep looking at me funny, Lady (Y/N)," Ma Dai says, not taking his eyes off of the Tongquetai in the distance. I shake my head and laugh, propping my head up on my hand.

"Sorry, Ma Dai. It's just a lot to take in. We really did it," I breathe out as the sun finally sets in the distance. The sky is turning an inky blue and I can hear the other officers beginning to celebrate in the distance. Ma Dai doesn't make any notion of moving from his spot on the railing though.

"You're not going to join the festivities?" I ask, arching an eyebrow. He may not have the alcohol tolerance of Ma Chao, but he's normally not one to turn down liquor. Ma Dai smiles down at me before hopping off of the wooden railing to stand by my side. 

"It doesn't look like you're going to either," he retorts with a small smile. I shrug in response.

"Besides," he starts, placing a large hand on my head. "I'd much rather stay here with you, Lady (Y/N)." I shrink back at the sudden contact before happily leaning into the touch of his hand. We're silent for a little while longer, satisfied with the sound of distant celebration and our steady breathing.

"May I hug you, milady?" Ma Dai asks, voice smaller than usual. I'm taken back for a moment, but quickly wrap my arms around his neck and pull him down to my height. Ma Dai wastes no time in reciprocating the action, entangling his arms around my torso and squeezing me tight. He smells of ink and parchment and tea leaves. Ma Dai buries his face into my neck, his stubble tickling the sensitive skin.

"As much as I'd like to stay like this," he murmurs, voice a bit muffled. "There was also something else I had in mind, could you trust me for a moment and close your eyes, Lady (Y/N)?"

"I'll always trust you, Ma Dai." I do as he asks, closing my eyes and clasping my hands in front of me. Something tickles my ear and I instinctively retract away, only to curiously feel it immediately after. It's soft against my fingers and I open my eyes to try and guess what it is. Gorgeous white petals are visible in the corner of my eye. "A lily? Ma Dai, how did you-?"  But I don't get to finish my sentence, as Ma Dai tenderly presses his lips against mine. He's smiling into the kiss, and he tastes faintly like peaches. His large hands are gently cupping the sides of my face and he pulls away shortly after with a grin. "You opened your eyes too early," he says, leaning in to gently peck the corner of my mouth.

I shyly tuck some hair behind my ear, glancing up at Ma Dai from under my eyelashes. "You didn't specify how long you wanted me to keep them closed." He shakes his head with a laugh and raises his hand, silently asking for my own. I hesitantly place my hand in his grasp and he places a gentle kiss to it, sending a blush to my cheeks. Ma Dai intertwines our fingers and squeezes affectionately as he turns his gaze to the pale moonlight reflecting off the water.

Like a happily ever after.