Chapter Two- Nightmares

Chapter Two

I sat on the floor in my bedroom. My legs were curled under me, arms levitated in front of me. Palms up. I hummed a song I couldn’t remember the lyrics to, but I knew that it was a very important song. I noticed that my hands were covered in red paint. It looked like I had taken part in a bloody massacre.

My eyes searched the floor. It too was covered in red paint, but it looked like it was put on the floor for a purpose. I tilted my head to the side and noticed that in fact, I was sitting in the middle of a pentagram. I felt as if I should be worried. How had I gotten into this position?

I breathed deeply and tried to calmly think up an explanation, but I couldn’t. I was too concentrated on humming the song, and I wasn’t a multitasker. Arms still levitated in front of me, I had tried to stand up. I couldn’t.

I noticed the more I tried to think, the louder I hummed the song. It wasn’t really a hum anymore, more like a whisper. A wordless chant. It was all in the same tone and on the same scale. There was no melody, just a repeat of a four beat note.

I finally noticed the mirror propped up against the wall in front of me. I didn’t look directly at it, but from the angle my head was at I could see a figure in it. The lights in my room were dimmed, so I couldn’t tell if it was just me in it or if I had a visitor. I didn’t have anything better to do so I slowly lifted my eyes up to the mirror.

A sigh escaped my lips, but I kept on whispering my wordless lament. The person in the mirror was only me.

I studied my unique face. My black hair was pulled back into a messy knot, making my heart shaped face stand out. I had big, doll like brown eyes that when shined in the light showed smoldering red flecks. The red in my eyes seemed more intensified then. They were set against porcelain skin that had a light red flush near the cheeks.

I surveyed my lips and found that red paint was smeared right near my cupids bow. I licked a tiny off and to my utter horror tasted a salty, coppery taste. Blood.

I started to whisper my hymn louder and this time it had words.

“Ita ego te liberum,

 Te vivere inmortuis

 Sanguinem fundens a venis,

 Et ab inferis surgere,

Ita erit.”

I yelled it louder and louder, repeating the words with my arms extended in front of me. Without realizing what I was doing, I reached one hand down and took a long jeweled dagger from beside me. I made a long cut down my arm then dropped the knife, and squeezed the blood from the wound. Screaming at the top of my lungs, I chanted the words one last time then fell silent.

As if I broke through an invisible barrier, I finally had control over my body and slumped down into a ball. I had felt no pain coming from my arm; it almost looked like the cut had already healed. I peered down at the floor in front of me, wincing at the blood.

It was in the shape of a face and the more I looked at it, the more I started noticing details. There were the eyes…and the mouth, the nose, and the chin. I bent my head down more to get a better look.

The eyes connected with mine and I suddenly felt an excruciating pain in my chest. As if my heart was going to explode.

I lost consciousness after a hand went through the floor and grabbed my face with its long skeletal hand.