Chapter Nine

Murder. After my three month rule, that was the consequence I faced. Murder of whom? Anyone. They were so frequent that the news had finally reached me.

"Aitan?" I called, my voice cutting the suffocating spring air. "What are we going to do about it?"

I turned and hugged him. The days were worse with all the problems of the people and the nights were worse by thinking about the solutions to them. Whether had I taken the right one, or if there was a better answer.

For a moment I though he had fallen asleep. Minutes later, he replied, "I don't know, Azaziah. I am like you. We are very young in these matters. I don't know."

"Let us hope that Ar'kela will return before things become worse," I said.

"She has indeed gone to look into these matters," he said softly. "I believe in her."

"So do I," I mumbled, burying my head in the crook of his neck. "She is my first friend after my mother."

He laced our fingers together. "I know. But she is not fragile as you think. I know you care for her, but she is the Guardian. She can fend for herself."

I closed my eyes, my sleep refusing to come to me. "It's just..."

"I know," he muttered. "But your brother is taking it way tougher than you."

"Well," I began. "What would you do, if it was me who was gone and you had to stay here?"

"I..." he stopped himself. "Don't ask such absurd questions to me. I will follow you no matter what."

"Then who are you to judge my brother?" I asked. "I can feel what he feels for her. And trust me, Aitan, it is so strong that I fear he might crash if something happens to her."

"But they won't fall apart."

"I hope they don't," I said.

The darkness provided me with a comfort the light could never give me. It was false like the shadow, concealing the truth from me, but it also, allowed me to veil my hideous truth.

Aitan turned and hugged me. "What are we going to do, Azaziah?"

"The answers lies with the pattern of the murders," I said, feeling firm. "We need to look at those."

"Let us look tomorrow," he said, snuggling close to me.

As soon as he said that, my mind went blank. I knew I should look at them now, else, we would forget about it altogether.

I moved his hands and got off the bed, searching for my dress. The cool winds caressed my naked back.

"Wher- what are you doing?" he asked, getting up.

"We need to look at them right now," I said, tying the laces and found my leather boots.

"Why?" he asked, but nevertheless he followed me to dress up. "Why can't we look in the morning?"

"I- fe-" I said. "Just don't ask okay? I have this weird feeling. Something might happen tonight, and I need to stop it."

"Where to look?" he asked.

I smiled. He was there for me, just the way he promised he would be there. "Just out, for now."

My hair was flowing behind me and I was way too engrossed with the feeling to care about it. Aitan was following me. The guards seeing us rushed behind us.

"It's no need," Aitan assured them. "If we need, we will send for you."

Hearing their Emperor, they let us.