Epilogue: Told from Ar'kela's eyes

Twelve thousand years had passed, but she still carried the weight of her friends and Eiran. Time should have made her life bearable, instead, it made it worse.

She saw the line of Azaziah crumble and fall. And like a passerby, she watched it from the shadows. She could not intervene in the affairs of the mortals. That was what they reduced to. Ralaeras were a powerful family who was even respected by the Spirits; seeing them to what they were now, she knew she had failed somewhere.

Azaziah gave up her empire and she ruled her grandfather's country. She had realised that too much power could be the cause of it. Ar'kela smiled when she remembered that day.

The day when her friend gave up the rule it was three weeks from then, she had birthed a boy, who was her replica. Since he had looked exactly like her twin, Azaziah had named him Eiran and that was the last straw for her. She left. But her eyes on that family never strayed.

Had she not promised that she would take care of that family until they possessed that ring? True to their ancestor's words, the Ralaera's never lost that ring.

When Azaziah had left her palace, it slowly crumbled under the wings of time. The other kingdoms rejoiced when the law that no more a higher rank was there.

Her friend lived just the way she had promised to her brother and husband. Katya was there, helping her in every way possible. The day Katya had passed away, Azaziah lost it. After then, she just lived for her son.

While she lived, Azaziah had made sure that none of them knew what Aitan had done. They thought he had died to keep the balance. Only if they knew the truth. And that truth too died with Katya and her. Ar'kela was the last to carry the burden of it.

After her son married and had children, she allowed her soul to pass. That was the only other time she saw her friend after a long time. Azaziah's ascension was beautiful to watch. That Empress's sacrifice earned her a place among the Spirits.

Ar'kela remembered everything even after she died. Her soul chose another body, the body of whose father she was to kill. And her mother in this life died, protecting her. If she had met her friend, she would understand that princess better.

Memories were the most painful thing. How she wished they would disappear!

She was the Guardian of rebirth. Feronia's chosen. But she never felt those whenever she was reminded of him. His malachite eyes were the one thing she could not forget, even after all those years.

When she was little, she dreamt of his eyes. Back then, she did not know what is meant, but as the memories came, she cried to sleep every night.

After all, she was the Guardian of memories too.

It was like taking a blade dipped in Tasov, the poison used to kill the Immortals, and stabbing herself repeatedly. She asked Iphis what mistake she had made, but his reply was a name. Ia'rad.

That was all she needed.

But the promise the Spirits made, was fulfilled. Eiran was born again, but he could not remember her. He did not know who she was. By Lyenth, he did not even know that a person like her existed. And that ripped her apart even more.

She did not hold his heart. How could she, when she stayed hidden from his eyes? Nevertheless, she knew, one day after everything was over, they would be together. It was the fate both chose.

She would wait till the right time and that was no way near. Her calculations had failed. The Guardians thought Azaziah's sacrifice had weakened the Darkness, but that was not what had happened. The Veymroths played a hidden card and that was when the Guardians realised they were done.

Ruthen was the last continent standing against the current. She would not fail this continent. It was her home as much as the others were. She would not allow the sacrifice her friend made go waste.

Thinking about it and not acting was a fool's way. She needed to act and she had to act fast. Else, everything she protected in her long years of life would be snatched from her.

The dark room hid her tear stained face. No one could see her at her weakness here. But she knew standing here, she would just prolong.

Sniffling, she lit the lamp at the corner of the room and saw the last remains of the room her mother in this life used. The room was frayed. Books were torn, the curtains slashed. The windows were broken and it allowed the rain and hail to enter the room. The bed was reduced to crumbles.

She touched everything and she finally saw the shattered mirror. A girl of seventeen looked back. At that time she realised, Eiran was never truer. That shade did suit her.

A pair of pink eyes blinked back at her before she turned and jumped off the room through the window, her heart determined to finish what she had started ages ago.     

With this, I hit the button complete. Oh my god! I have finally done something. 

After this, my focus is going to be on Winter's Dance. Hopefully, I will complete it within this year. 

Thank you all for reading!

~Quill