𝚡𝚒. 𝚝𝚘𝚗𝚜𝚒𝚕 𝚑𝚘𝚌𝚔𝚎𝚢

✦✧✦

✦✧✦

Turns out, Cress and banoffee pie do not go well together. Well, technically, Cress and cinnamon do not go well together. She looks at the potion that Madam Pomfrey gave her and tries not to cry. Madam Pomfrey stares at her, hands on hip and that strict, do-not-try-to-disobey-me-or-I-will-end-you look on her face. Cress swallows it in one go. It tastes like sour milk and mud.

"Oh, the taste isn't that horrible," Madam Pomfrey says. Cress squints in disbelief. "It's over, now, so stop your pouting."

"Not pouting," mumbles Cress, but it's a lie. She is definitely pouting and she really hates desserts.

Madam Pomfrey leaves her in all her sulkiness and Cress pulls the covers over her bed because her face is rather horrendous right now and she would rather not have any of the other tenants looking over at her.

There are angry splotches of crimson dotted all over her face. All over her body. The rashes are dark red and very itchy, but they're bandaged up so Cress can't scratch at them. But the ones on her face are not covered up in bandages but Cress still does not touch them - no matter how much she wants to - because she is pretty sure that Madam Pomfrey has some sort of special power that allows her to see when children are disobeying her very stern orders.

(She saw a Slytherin third year poke at a growth they had and Madam Pomfrey came in the room seconds later, eyes angry and voice loud. The third year never went near their injury again once she left.)

Cress hears Madam Pomfrey come out moments later and then she's talking softly to someone who is apparently in the Hospital Wing often. Mallory Ackerman says something to Madam Pomfrey and the woman chuckles, lighthearted and not at all strict or mean. Cress wonders what her secret is. Every professor in the school is kind to Mallory Ackerman. Not even Snape is all that hostile towards the Hufflepuff girl which is saying something.

(Cress really wants to know her secret.)

Said girl coughs again and it sounds so terribly life-threatening that Cress peeks out of her curtain to look at her. Mallory Ackerman is a girl with soft, doe eyes that are painted an emerald green. She is always smiling, whether it be to herself or at her cat. Cress doesn't think she has seen her talk to anyone.

Today, Mallory Ackerman is not smiling, however. She looks deeply sick, like one more coughing fit could actually be the end and Cress's heart does a thing as she stares at her. Pushing her curtain back further, Cress makes herself known, trying to muster up a grin when the girl turns to look at her.

"I'm allergic to cinnamon," Cress says as a ways of greeting her.

Mallory laughs quietly, a melodic thing that makes Cress grin. "I heard," she says. "I thought Madam Pomfrey was going to have a spell when your brother carried you in here."