Chapter 18: awkward encounters

With a slight hesitation that can only be described as pure unwillingness, I twist my body around to view the person in the flesh, not quite trusting my ears to provide me with the question I so desperately crave.

"Connor." I gasp, shock present in my breathless tone as the overbearing feeling of nausea rippling through my stomach at an unbearable pace proves almost too much.

I may actually puke.

His roguish smile reaches the ends of his mouth in a friendly curl and I almost play dumb in any knowledge of knowing him out of sheer panic. The last time I saw him I was sneaking out of his hotel room after spending the night with him at Kyle and Hayley's wedding and the thought of ever seeing him again certainly never crossed my mind. Yet here we are. Reuniting.

Suddenly from beside me, Jess mumbles a quick, "I'll leave you both to it." before doing just that, ever the traitor in her actions. I curse her multiple times under my breath before shifting, uncomfortably, in my stance but no matter how much I mentally protest to her leaving, I still find myself being left alone in the company of Connor-

Oh shit, I don't even know his last name!

"Conner, I-umm-gosh this is awkward." I sigh, hating how at ease he appears to be with our encounter.

He offers up a small laugh and takes a swig of his beer, simultaneously shaking his head in a somewhat disapproving manner.

"Well it is now." he chuckles, seeming unaffected by my declaration.

His confidence is unnerving and while I certainly found it attractive previously, it now just unsettles my insides, causing tonight's earlier consumption of Prosecco to churn, delightfully, in my stomach. With his arrogant smirk undeniably screaming 'I've seen you naked!' and his suggestive gaze baring into my very soul, I'm convinced the man is ready and raring to go for round two, which I am in no way condoning. I can only imagine what Aidan would do if he caught him looking at me like he is now.

Have his balls on a platter, no doubt.

"Sorry." I instantly reply, though for what, I'm still unsure. "Things were complicated then. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have spent the night with you. I was vulnerable and thought being with you would help." I continue, hoping not to hurt his feelings through my way of explaining things.

"Look, I get it Amelia, I really do. You're clearly not over this Aidan guy, whoever he may be, but a goodbye would've been nice." he replies, seeming serious all of a sudden as his eyes narrow into tiny slits.

I stare at him for a moment, totally dumbfounded by his insinuation and wrack my brains for any rational response. Obviously I come up short, having not recalled Conner and Aidan ever meeting and panic as he seemingly knows about him and our connection to one another.

"Excuse me?" I whisper, barely holding it together enough to utter out my question. "How do you know about Aidan?" I add, searching my mind for any moment I may have spoke about him throughout our shared evening together.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to bring up a sore subject." he apologises, genuine concern flashing across his tanned face. "I just assumed he was someone I was replacing for the night. You kept saying his name during, well, during our time together." he clarifies, stemming what I can only assume to be a deep blush to spread across my cheeks in a burning force.

I cowardly look down to the ground, too ashamed to meet his gaze in fear of being judged for my less than considerate actions. I feel awful for having left and even more so for chanting the wrong name the entire time. I can't exactly speak for Connor himself but I hardly think me repeatedly stating Aidan's name during sex is a confidence booster. I'm such a bitch.