This Minute We Dance

Even shot up in bed, breathing hard and covered in a thin layer of sweat. He squeezed his eyes shut and tried to calm his breathing. Words, pictures, phrases, sounds, smells were racing through his brain, making his head hurt. He took a deep breath and turned to look at Isak. But the bed was empty. And suddenly, Even's stomach didn't have a bottom. Even threw back the covers and stood up, Isak was probably just in the bathroom. He opened the door slowly, expecting to see his boyfriend standing at the sink, washing his hands. But he wasn't. Isak had left him. Even took a shaky breath and fought back tears. Hate-filled thoughts aimed at himself ran through Even's head. He took another breath, trying to collect himself and walked towards the kitchen. As he neared the doorway, Even heard soft music coming from the kitchen. Gabrielle, no less. Even continued to the kitchen, thinking hard about each step, trying to focus on his feet rather than Isak. He tried to stop the tears, but they kept coming; Isak had left him. But he hadn't. Isak was standing right there, in only his underwear, humming along to the music. Even's breath hitched and Isak whipped around. Seeing Even, his smile faltered and he ran to him.
"What happened?" Isak asked. His eyebrows furrowed with worry and he enveloped Even in his arms. Even was a head taller than Isak, but in his arms, Even felt small...safe...comforted. "I'm right here, everything's okay." Isak cooed into Even's shoulder. "Everything's okay." Isak said slowly, more affirmative this time. Isak's body was warm, and his skin was soft. Even swallowed hard.
"I thought you left me." He stammered, not moving.
"No, I didn't leave you. I just had to get up for school." Isak whispered soothingly. Even exhaled slowly.
"What about later? Like next week? Or next month?" Even asked. Isak gently pulled back and locked eyes with Even.
"Remember our game? We can only think about the next minute. Minute..."
"...by minute," Even said with him. Isak nodded.
"But I promise I won't leave you, Even." Isak wrapped his arms around Even again, and Even wrapped his arms around Isak's shoulders. They swayed gently back and forth despite the upbeat song playing on Isak's phone. Isak gave Even small kisses on his bare chest. Even's thoughts had calmed down, and his head had stopped pounding. And the tears were no longer there. Because Isak was there. Even closed his eyes and hugged Isak closer to his chest.
"Minute by minute," Even whispered.
"...and this minute, we dance." Isak hummed.