14. Realizations and Extractions

My mother stormed into the room and frantically searched around until her eyes landed on me. Like there's so many places to look. A look of dread and anguish set onto her pale face as she stalked towards me. My mothers arms wrapped around my neck and pulled me towards her. I winced in pain and attempted to pull back. "Mom. You're hurting me." She pulled back instantly and looked over my body. Her eyes scanning up my bare arms and her fingers touched the IV that was helping recover.

"I'm sorry. I can't tell you how sorry I am. And I know that saying sorry will never repay for my carelessness but I will try my best to be the mother I should've been all along." I heard a scoff and both my mother and I turned to the source. There I saw my English teacher Mr. Styles.

"Bullshit." He growled. "Excuse me?" My mother lamented.

"You and that sorry piece of shit you call a husband both deserve to be in jail. You put Melanie in a shitty fucking position and she had to put up with all of it because she actually believed herself when she said she loved you."

"This is my daughter! I don't care if she was your girlfriend, that can end very quickly. But she will forever be my daughter. And I will always be her mother. And I will always be there for her!" She chided.

"Like you were before? For the last seventeen years? Are you fucking stupid or mentally ill? Because so far, from what I'm told, she's been beaten and abused both mentally and physically. You must be so bloody ignorant to believe that you are a mother. You're nothing but a demon in women clothing." Harry sneered taking the breath out of my lungs.

"I don't need your insults right now."

"I'm not insulting you. I'm describing you."

"And who are you to come between my daughter and I? Huh? Because last time I checked, you were just a good fuck to pass the time!"

"Oh that's rich coming from a whore herself!"

"Guys." I rasped out. "Please stop." They both turned towards me, red in their faces.

"I'm sorry-" they both tried to apologize when the door opened and a female doctor walked in. "Hi. Are you the parents?" She looked toward Harry and my mom.

"I am." My mother blurted out before Harry could say something.

"Alright. Sir I'm going to have to ask you to wait in the waiting room."

"That's my boyfriend." I rushed before he could leave.

"I'm sorry sweety but you have to be married."

"We're engaged." I stated while covering my left hand. She paused for a moment. Probably judging me. Then nodded and went to the computer and looked up my information.

"So we ran some tests and your overall health is good but you have multiple bruises in your abdominal area and two fractured ribs. You'll be sore for a week or so but we will prescibe multiple pain relievers to reduce the pain. It also says here that you were about a week pregnant. But since it wasn't fully formed no real damage was done." I tuned out of the conversation and felt faint.

I was pregnant.

I was pregnant.

Damn. I was pregnant.

Relief and pain overwhelmed me.

I wasn't ready to have a baby. I'm barely getting out of highschool. I want to go to college. Not stay at home and watch a baby with a part-time job.

But I was pregnant. And I knew that deep down inside I wanted to have a baby when I got older. Maybe it wasn't my time. Maybe it was.

"Mel?" My eyes focused on my mom who looked at me concerned then glanced up at the doctor. I looked to my right and saw the doctor looking at me expectantly.

"What?"

"Heh. I was informing you that we have to flush you out of any remains from the fetus."

"Okay." I croaked out. "I know this is hard for you sweety. But you will overcome this issue and come back stronger than ever." I couldn't smile. I couldn't do anything. I was numb. And in pain.

The doctor left and the room was silent. My throat began hurting and I held my breath so that I didn't cry. "Honey, I will never understand how you feel right now."

"Mommy," my voice was strained as tears spilled from my eyes and down my cheeks, "I'm sorry." Why did I apologize? Slowly my cries began excaping my lips. Harry sat in the chair next to my bed and held his face in his hands. "No baby. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I wish you never had to go through this." She said to me.

Three knocks were heard on the door and in came two officers. "Mrs. Fay? You're under arrest." My mom turned around in utter shock as well as I and Harry.

"What? What am I-"

"For possession of multiple illegal drugs in your house hold. And don't bother saying they weren't yours. We found your DNA on the bags. You have the right to remain silent," my mom looked away in solemn and let them handcuff her," Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning." The voices got quieter as they hauled my mom off. I wept in silence until I turned to Harry.

"Harry? Please say something?"

He looked up at me with puffy red eyes. "I'm sorry." He mumbled before getting up and leaving the room. I sat in my hospital bed completely alone. My anguish soon turned to anger as I realized that the person I trusted most walked out on me when I needed them the most. And I realized that I was just a pawn.

Well maybe he was hurting.

That had to be it.

Or maybe he didn't want to deal with the fact that he almost had a baby with one of his students.

Or maybe he was crying from relief and wanted nothing else to do with you.

I have no idea.

"Melanie? Darling, I just need you to sign some things regarding the procedures and getting your approval for the extraction." I bobbed my head slowly and reached for the pen and clipboard. After sloppily scribbling my signature, I handed the items back and settled into the bed more. I might as well get comfortable.

Short. I know. Enjoy.

-A

P.S. I'm going to be editing this story.