F I F T E E N

5 YEARS LATER

The annoying beeping of your alarm woke you up, making you groan and bury your face in your pillow. You lazily reached your hand across the velvety sheets, looking for the warmth of the body beside you. As soon as your hand touched the soft skin, you sighed happily. You nuzzled your face in the nape of her neck and the smell of shampoo and sex filled your nostrils.

"Morning," the groggy voice whispered.

"Morning," you planted a sweet kiss on her shoulder and sat on bed, embracing yourself with the velvet white sheets.

"Where are you going?" the brunette groaned at the loss of touch of your warm body.

"Work. Staying in bed with you is tempting, believe me. But if I don't get going, I'll be late for work and my boss is going to get mad," you smirked.

"You know I'm your boss, right?" her brown eyes studied you amusedly. "So, I don't care if you are late."

"I know you don't, Olivia" you playfully rolled your eyes and crawled back to bed, straddling her uncovered hips. Her breath hitched and you tenderly held her hands, interlacing them with your own. "But I do," you bent down to peck her luscious lips before jumping out of bed to get ready.

"You are such a tease," she complained but followed you to the shower.

Olivia was your boss but she had been your friend long before she became the director of the magazine you worked for. Her hair was long and brown just like the color of the fallen leaves in autumn which matched the color of her eyes, a light brown that looked like two pools of milk chocolate. She reminded you of the girl who disappeared from your life five years ago and it had become an habit to look for her in everybody you met. After Kendall left to her hometown that day, after she made love to you, you had high hopes of being reunited again. But how? She didn't give you her number and she didn't tell you how to contact her either. You only knew basic information and the search engines of the Internet didn't seem to be on your side either. It was like she didn't want to be found at all. You looked for her for a little over a year but decided to put an end to it when you remembered her words, what she really wanted: just let the universe do its work. But honestly, you didn't believe that fate would bring you two back together, that's not how it worked. You were not chess pieces for someone or something up there to play with; you two were the only people who could bring yourselves together. But you still had it her way.

'That's what she wanted,' you had repeated yourself over and over again when you made that decision that day with quivering lips wet from the droplets of tears that had filled your eyes unannounced. And after five years, you weren't sure you were over her. The countless nights you laid awake thinking about her made you think it was still not over for you. Every night, before going to sleep, you would imagine infinite scenarios about what would you do if you unexpectedly ran into her; what would you say to her and how she would reply. Your love for her hadn't left and you wondered if it ever would.

...

"Are you free tomorrow night?" your boss shyly asked you, anticipation clear in her voice. You glanced up at her from the text on your computer screen that you had just written. You frowned at her question, not knowing if her intention was to ask you on a date. Your relationship with Olivia was as simple as two friends who occasionally got laid but romantic feelings were definitely not involved. She noted that confusion in your face and rolled her eyes. "Can you just answer that question?"

"I'm free."

"Good."

"Why?" you wondered in curiosity.