Take my breath away

Serena POV

After searching every corner in building which took me about a minuet each. I looked up ahead in sight and found Ash sitting on a single chair opposite the entrance with no one around, his head covering in his cupped hands. Uncertainly, I approached, twisting my purse nervously in my bare hands. Is he crying? I thought to myself.

Apparently hearing me get closer, Ash raised his head and gave me a gentle smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. I was relieved to see that he wasn't crying at all.

"I'm sorry I ran out like that," he said apologetically as I pulled up a chair and sat next to him. Getting myself comfortable by placing my purse on my lap as I looked at his whole face. "I just couldn't take it - talking about Gary like that - talking about me like that..." His voice trailed off and he stared at his own hands, taking a moment before speaking out. "I just... had to walk away before I punched him out."

"Its okay, Ash," I assured him, trying my best in a care free tone, patting his free shoulder with my face in concern.

He slowly moves his body back like he was falling and rested the back of his head against a plain hard wall, closing his eyes shut. "My head hurts like ****," he mumbled. "I thought the- aneurysm was gonna implode, I was so pissed."

"He shouldn't have been baiting you," I said, my voice rising in anger. Not to get to into an argument. "He knows you're sick, he knows what could- potentially- happen when you get mad-."

"And he doesn't give a crap. All he cares about is work, money and - Leaf." Ash scowled out from his mind. "He just loves Leaf. Sometimes, he probably wishes she was his only child. I know I suck, I'm a waste of resources." He gave a humourless laugh. "But, he's stuck with me." He sounded so sad, and looked so dejected that it was all I could do to keep myself from crying my eyes out. I put an arm around his shoulder, wishing there was some way I could make him see that I didn't think he was a waste of anything.

"Why does he – dislike you so much?" I questioned delicately, looking at his pensive profile. Wanting to know more about their relation.

He sighed. "It's a long story." He said slowly.

"Oh. Right." In other words, none of your business.

I nodded in responce, deciding to leave it alone. But you told him about Alain and Mairin when he asked and if that wasn't a long story, I must be loco.

What I was thinking must have showed up one my face because Ash hurriedly added, "I'll tell you all about it one day, but not now. I don't wanna deal with it right now."

Fair enough.

"Okay," I whispered until Ash wrapped his arm around my slim waist, gently pulling me closer to him just as my legs touched his. Caughting me off guard as a hot blush formed across my cheeks. I hope he doesn't see it or else it's even more embarrassing for me.

"This date's been a bust. I'll make it up to you, I swear," he said ruefully, gazing ahead at a clear open space.

"I'll hold you to it." I respond with a sweet smile at him and cheeks slowly fading from red.

We sat like this for a couple minutes in silence, each of us lost in our own private worlds until-

"What are you two doing here?" a sneering voice said above us, ringing my perked ears.

I looked up and almost groaned out loud. Misty, Miette and last Brendan aka 'that money loving scumbag' were standing right in front of us. The funny thing was, I hadn't heard them approach, even though Misty was tottering on her 6 inch heels.