Forgetting

THREE YEARS LATER

My phone buzzed with about fourteen Twitter notifications all at once. I was rarely on my Twitter, so I was curious as to what the big deal was. The first thirteen notifications I saw were from random people I didn't know. Most of them saying something around the lines of "who is she?" I had no idea what was going on until I saw the first notification I had received. My breathing stopped and I felt my face flush when I saw the username.

@Harry_Styles: cant wait to come home to holmes chapel and see the fam! also looking forwards to seeing @charlieeeee

He also listed a few of the other people that hadn't abused him throughout High School. I was still staring at my phone screen as my brother came up to look over my shoulder. He may have been younger than me but since I was tiny, he had recently surpassed me in the height department.

"Wow. Harry's changed." He said, pointing to the profile picture. He accidentally hit it, making my screen become covered by the now tattooed boy. It hurt my head to see the dramatic changes that have happened over the past three years. My brother came in front of me and made kissy noises.

"Piss off, Oliver." I said, pushing him backwards by the forehead. I loved my brother, but he was honestly the most obnoxious seventeen year old I knew. My dad must have heard me snap at my brother, because we both froze at his voice sounding from the dining table.

"Oliver leave your sister alone! And Charlotte, language!" Oliver laughed as he scampered off to his room to do whatever "Olivers" do. I realized I still hadn't clicked out of Harry's new profile picture, so I decided to study it. His very curly hair was pulled back with a bandana. His hands were holding his whole face, making it unable to see his features. From what I could see of his arms, he already had quite a few tattoos. I saw the ship on his bicep and chuckled. He had always talked about how much he wanted a sailing ship tattoo. Something about "not sinking". I also noticed he was wearing some jewelery, if you could call it that. He had a ring on his second finger and I saw a chain around his neck. He was also wearing a large watch. The picture itself was already kind of strange, but the black and white effect made it look almost... ghastly?

I will admit, I do love One Direction's music, it is very catchy. But even though I was a former best friend of Harry Styles, I wasn't an overly attached fangirl. I knew a lot of the things about Harry, so every time I saw something relating to him, I had the upperhand of knowing he was just saying those things for better publicity. Harry had changed so much. He wasn't the shy boy with glasses I had known. But I will admit, he had definitely changed for the better. The way he dressed and looks now make him much more attractive. It wasn't like it mattered what I thought or told him though. He had literally millions of girls to tell him that.

As soon as that day where Harry told me he was auditioning, I was doing everything in my power to hint to him that I didn't care what he did. Up until the live shows he was letting me know what was happening in the competition. He told me about getting through, boot-camp, meeting Louis is the toilets, being put in a group with the other lads, and the judge's houses. I never replied to any of his messages, except to say "good job" or "cool" occasionally. I know, I was being the biggest douche ever. I felt horrible, but I couldn't just forget that he hadn't told me. On the outside I didn't care.

On the inside was a whole other story.

When he told me he got through, I ran around the house cheering for at least an hour. When he told me about meeting Louis, I laughed for a long time, thinking about how cute it was that he met his new best friend that way. When he told me he got cut off... I cried. I cried and cried and cried. Gemma came over and we cried together. I made her swear to tell no one. Then in an hour we both got another message from Harry, saying he was going through with four other boys. He sent us a picture of the boys, and then Gemma and I cried together again. This time from the happiness. When they got through the judge's houses, I was so happy for Harry. I couldn't pretend to be angry at him when he told me that. I replied to that message with my "good job" and a smiley face.