chapter 256-265

Chapter 256: Nine Nine Eighty-One Transformations

Eastern Descent City was extremely vast and there was no end in sight for its city walls. The citadel pillared all the way to the clouds. Among its ancient walls, there were countless mottled holes with numerous scratches from arrows and blades. Even up till now, one could still find broken arrows nailed to the walls.

Even though it was old and tattered by the arduous workings of time, the walls still had flowing lights running throughout. Each brick and boulder contained dao runes for these walls were reinforced by countless wise sages of the human race. Because of this, it was able to withstand countless years without falling.

Li Qiye started to recall the past while looking at this ancient city. Did modern society understand the past where the human race lived in a dark and tortuous era? At the Mortal Emperor World, the human race was once driven away with no place left to go. During that era, Eastern Descent City was one of the last bastions of the human race.

In the present times, how many people knew about the plethora of bloody battles that occurred right outside these walls during the human race's darkest times? The enemy attacked one after another while the human race endured time and time again! The city had been shattered many times, but the human race never stopped rising again to rebuild these walls and reinforce them again and again while holding out to the very end!

Sad emotions filled Li Qiye's heart for this city carried many memories for him. However, he didn't want to think about the era of the Ancient Ming again — the darkest time of the human race! At that time, how many people by his side died in battle? In that era, how many invincible beings under his banner fought till their death!?

He went on like this while standing in a daze outside of the city. No matter the occasion, his heart always dimmed down when he recalled the darkest era.

"Brother Li, what's wrong?" While he was in a daze, staring at Eastern Descent City, Chi Xiaodao called for him several times, but no response was found.

Chi Xiaodie looked at the stunned Li Qiye and angrily said: "What are we waiting for? Don't tell me you have never seen such a huge and prosperous ancient city like this! Weren't you boasting all the way to the high heavens earlier? Are you finally nervous now?"

Li Qiye was in a bad mood so after hearing such words, he coldly glared at her and slowly said: "Even if you don't talk, no one will think that you are a mute. One is without all criticisms regarding a gentle and virtuous girl!"

Li Qiye's sudden outburst had an unspeakable dignity, leaving Chi Xiaodie to be stunned for a bit. After regaining her wits, she was a bit embarrassed as she glared at Li Qiye and wanted to explode: "You!"

"We should go inside. There is not much to look at here!" Chi Xiaodao quickly tried to smooth things over and changed the topic the moment he saw the quarrel that was likely to ensue.

Chi Xiaodie snorted and ignored Li Qiye, then she went inside the city. Li Qiye was not in a good mood so he was too lazy to care for her.

After entering Eastern Descent City, anyone would be affected by its bustling atmosphere. There were so many people as they had to walk shoulder to shoulder. One could see people flying in the sky and walking on water; there were even those who were sightseeing underwater.

One could see a wide variety of races at this city, but of course, humans were the most abundant. As the origin of the human race, one couldn't even count all the mortals, let alone cultivators.

One could even see the demon race here at the city whenever they want. Even demons who have not completely escaped from their beast bodies were very plentiful; human body with a serpent head, bird head with a serpent body, tiger body with a human head... Mortals have seen so many of them.