Entry #5

Dear Diary,

It was Friday and all I wanted to do was crawl back into bed and snuggle against my Superman stuffed doll. I sighed grabbing my key card and my homework from my bed. I normally didn't keep my room closed throughout the night but Jenny, Diego and Kyle had been breaking my door trying to talk to me so I made sure to get up early so that I reduced my chances of seeing them. Once I tried to wake them up before six to see a meteor shower and they said it was against their religion to wake up at such an ungodly hour.

I walked to the library which was already opened.

I was looking forward to some peace and quiet but that dream came crushing down, "Knock knock."

I looked up at familiar green eyes. It was Adonis, the kid that Diego and I had helped. He was also the one who had helped me when I was having a panic attack. He was wearing geek glasses that made someone get an impression of a complete nerd but during the week that I had been high on drugs I had at least got the fact out that he had passed the tryouts and made the rugby team.

"Go away," I muttered looking at me books.

"You really are bad at this but anyway I just wanted to talk to you," he told me and I rolled my eyes.

"So does half of the school. You'll have to get in line," I told him harshly hoping it would send him away but clearly the boy didn't take hints. He set his books down near the chair opposite me.

"Let me make sure you get this straight. I really don't want to talk to anyone," I pressed trying my best to make him go.

"Great, all you have to do is listen," he said with an annoyingly optimistic smile. This kid was going to give me an ulcer.

"I want to help," he said.

I threw my hands up in frustration, "What is it with guys in my life and thinking they're the answer to all the problems in the universe?"

"I don't think that," he defended and earned another eye roll from me.

"Look I don't like being a charity case for people. If you need to do something to boost your ego they're plenty of orphans in this world who need help," I muttered turning back to my textbook.

"Wow, they were right you really are tough to crack," he laughed and this time curiosity beat everything else.

"Who were right?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"No one," he said vaguely and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Look I just want to help.You with your um problem," he said. I really hated the way people said problem. It's was like if they mention what it really was it might become contagious.

"Look here kid I can tell you all my problems right now. I'm highly narcissistic but try to hide it by biting down on my tongue and not saying what I really think. I have an attention problem and maybe some abandonment issues with a hint of a superiority complex and a side of depression,"

"You on the other hand are the complete opposite. Clearly an optimist but you were forced to be one from childhood trauma, most likely the loss of a loved one. You're highly sentimental which is shown by that chain around your neck which you wear everywhere even in the rugby field and the slight rusting shows that you may even go with it into water. You also have a superhero complex which is why you're offering help to me," I finished and he just stared at me for a minute. I was hoping he would finally leave.

"You're opening up," he pointed out. I sighed and touched my forehead. How one boy managed to be so infuriating was beyond me.

"I'm not talking any more," I assured him.

"That's okay. Sometimes you don't need to talk for someone to be there for you," he said and then started whistling as he focused on his work.

He was an absolute idiot but why was it that for the first time in days I was smiling?

"You know you're way prettier when you smile," he pointed out not looking up from his books and I rolled my eyes but found myself humming along to his Hakuna Matata from Lion King whistling.
***************
"Hey," a familiar voice related to a pair of green eyes covered with geek glasses said.

"I just want to eat my chicken nuggets in peace," I muttered looking down at my sad lunch of fries and nuggets. I was seated alone on a table not because no one had tried to sit with me but because the look I gave them quickly made them change their mind.

He sat down next to me and I had to admit his burger looked great compared to my lunch.

"Want to play animal kingdom?" He asked cutting a blank piece of paper from the writing pad he had been holding under his tray.

"You know I feel like we're doing the complete opposite of what I said this morning?" I told him.

"Really? Never even occurred to me. Now since I've already cut a piece of paper and I don't want some poor tree to have died for nothing we'll just have to play," he said trying to look oblivious.

Fifteen minutes later and I was scratching my head for an animal that's start with a letter Z. I knew for a fact that Adonis had chosen zebra because who wouldn't. He was counting in an annoying voice from one to ten.

"Okay shut up," I said covering his mouth.

He started mumbling something and the itchy effect it had on my fingers caused me to laugh.

He pried my hands off him and then looked at my paper, "Huh I beat you."

He held up his paper and under animal he had Zonkey. He smirked at me proudly, "You over think things way too much."

"What the hell is a Zonkey?" I asked and I knew I had a sceptical look on my face.

"Child of zebra and donkey," he said with a duh tone that I didn't really like.

"You might not be as stupid as I thought," I told him.

"That's like the nicest thing someone has ever said to me," he said and I couldn't help laughing. I hadn't even been able to smile the whole week but this boy had made me smile twice in one day. He might make an amazing friend.

"You should laugh more often. It makes your eyes sparkle and they become really pretty," he said staring at me. As soon as he noticed what he had said a blush crept into his face.

He cleared his throat, "You know in a completely platonic kind of way."

I couldn't help grinning and I squeezed his hand, "Thanks. In a completely plutonic kind of way."