Chapter Four

"Calm down, we're just walking to the pond. It isn't that far." Travis said to Zane as they walked down the dark path. Zane clutched Travis's arm and stared into the trees on either side of them. Garroth, Laurence, Dante, Aaron, and Aphmau were close behind them; everyone else had wanted to stay at the cabin.
"But.. but... What if something happens along the way or while we're there? Will we be able to find our way back?" Zane worried.
"We'll be fine."
"It's going to get dark really soon-"
Travis stopped walking and grabbed Zane's chin. Holding his head in place, he stared deep into Zane's eyes.
"We will be fine. Nothing will go wrong. We're all safe. Okay?"
Zane nodded, and Travis released him. Zane almost instantly grabbed Travis's hand.
"How long until we get there ag-"
"We're already here." The path widened into the clearing that held the pond.
Zane jumped out of the way as Garroth, Laurence, and Dante sprinted past them and jumped into the pond. Aphmau and Aaron sat at the edge of the water, while Zane remained standing at the edge of the clearing.
"We should find a place to sit down." Travis said, turning to Zane.
Zane paused for a moment, then nodded. Travis followed him across the clearing to a log that was sticking out from the forest. He stepped towards it, but Zane walked in front of him and grabbed the log. He backed up, dragging the fallen tree out into the clearing and throwing the towel he had brought across the bark. Travis put his own towel beside it and sat down.
They weren't planning on swimming, but they had brought their towels anyway.
Zane sat down, and Travis did the same.
"Good idea." Travis said, smiling at Zane. Zane looked down at his feet with a tiny nod.
Travis didn't miss the anxious glance that Zane gave to the trees around them. He clutched the towel on either side of him.
Travis put his own hand gently on top of Zane's beside him and felt Zane relax. He took Travis's hand, sighed, and watched Garroth, Laurence, and Dante splashing around in the water. Every so often, Aaron would get splashed, and he would splash whoever it was twice as hard. One time, Laurence splashed Aphmau accidentally, and Aaron threw himself into the water at him. Laurence had to crawl out of the water for a break from swimming, coughing up water and looking half drowned.
Travis was happy their log wasn't near the pond, or else they'd both be soaked by now.
"Do you think there's any big animals around here?" Zane asked quietly after a moment of watching them. Travis kept holding Zane's hand and thought about his question.
"I'd say so, yes. This is the kind of place where there'd be bears and deer and wolves and all that."
Zane scooted closer to him, so Travis squeezed his hand comfortingly.
"But they won't attack us or anything. They aren't going to be aggressive."
Zane nodded, but he still didn't seem convinced.

What Zane had said earlier was true. They weren't there that long and it was already growing dark. Even though the moon and stars were out, they remained at the pond.
"I hardly ever sit like this and actually look at the sky." Zane said quietly beside him. Travis tore his gaze away from the stars and glanced around.
Garroth and Laurence were sitting in the grass, stargazing, while Dante talked to Aaron and Aphmau from in the pond.
"Me neither." Travis murmured.
"It's actually... nice." Zane's eyes were lit up by the stars.
Travis held Zane's hand tighter and stared up at the sky.
"It is nice. Very beautiful." Travis smiled.
     Zane nodded, then rested his head on Travis's shoulder. Travis stiffened up for a second, then relaxed.
     "You guys are adorable." Aphmau called from beside the pond. In an instant, Zane's head was off of Travis's shoulder and his hand was out of Travis's grip. He turned his head in embarrassment.
     Hurt flashed through Travis as Zane moved further away from him.
     You knew it was too good to be true.

     The walk back to the cabin was slow and awkwardly silent. Travis was very, very annoyed at Aphmau, but he realized he couldn't entirely blame this on her. He was too shy to confess to Zane. He didn't even know if Zane felt the same way. Maybe he was just tired and falling asleep, so he put his head on Travis's shoulder. Friends held hands all the time.
     But that still didn't explain the look on Zane's face when Travis almost kissed him.
     Anyone would get flustered if someone tried to kiss them.
     Travis let out a frustrated sigh.
     Something white flashed in the corner of his eye. He watched as the bushes shook where it was moments before.
     Without hesitation, he sprung into the bushes after it. He ignored everyone calling after him and sprinted after the thing that no matter how fast he ran, always managed to stay out of his reach.
     Travis was tackled to the ground, and the thing escaped. He writhed around under whoever it was.
     "Travis. You can't run away from the group like that. Especially in the middle of the forest." It was Aaron.
     "But- but there was something there! I almost caught it!"
     "You're chasing a rabbit."
     "I didn't know white rabbits are around this time of year."
     "That's because that was a black rabbit." Aaron stood up and held out a hand to Travis.
     "But that rabbit was white!"
     "Travis-"
     "Did you not see it?!"
     "I saw it. It was black." Aaron forcefully grabbed Travis's wrist and pulled him to his feet, then started walking back to the path.
     "But-"
     "Travis. Stop."
     Travis sighed. "Fine."
     That wasn't a black rabbit! It was white! Was it even a rabbit at all?!

     Back at the cabin, Travis collapsed onto the bed with a tired groan, his voice muffled by the pillow.
     Zane turned off the light, then laid down carefully beside him and pulled the blanket over himself.
     "Travis..? You awake?" Zane whispered after a few moments of silence.
     "Yeah. What is it?"
     "I'm... i'm sorry about before... I shouldn't have acted like that when Aphmau noticed us. I saw how hurt you were... I just got embarrassed. I guess I forgot they were there..."
     Travis smiled, although he saw that Zane was facing the opposite way, and that it would be too dark for him to see Travis's face anyway.
     "Don't worry about it."
      He heard a sigh of relief from Zane.
      "Okay.. that's.." Zane yawned. "Good."
     "Good night, Zane."
     "Night."

     Travis was startled awake. It took his eyes a moment to adjust to the darkness of the room. Then, he figured out what woke him up.
     Zane was laying beside him, his breath quick and ragged. He was sleeping, Travis knew that for sure, but he was also crying. Tears rolled slowly down his cheeks.
     Travis frowned and tried to get a better look at him. He was shaking.
     "Zane?" He murmured.
     "N-..no... I... I don't..." Zane whimpered.
     "Zane." Travis tried again, raising his voice.
     "N-no!"
     Travis put a hand on Zane's arm. Zane's eyes snapped open and he gasped in fear. Tears steamed down his face.
     "What's wrong? Zane?"
     Zane sobbed, rolling over so that he wasn't facing Travis.
     "Zane.." Travis whispered. "Calm down."
     When it was clear Zane wasn't going to calm down, Travis laid down and wrapped his arms around Zane, hooking him back against his chest. Zane visibly relaxed in his arms.
     "Shh... You're okay." Travis murmured in Zane's ear.
     Zane's breathing slowed.
     "Now, can you tell me what's wrong?"
     Zane sighed shakily. "N-nightmare."
     "Oh. Well, whatever it was about, don't worry. It wasn't real."
     Zane nodded, then pressed back against Travis. Travis kept his arms around him.
     "Th-thank you f-for helping.."
     "Of course."
     Travis sighed and closed his eyes.
     "Good night. For real, this time." Travis laughed a little.
     "Good night."
     Well... This makes up for what happened earlier.
     He curled his arms tighter around Zane and let himself drift off to sleep.