Chapter Six

Travis looked at Zane as they walked through the forest. The sun was now shining through the trees, illuminating their path.
The scene on the hill played through his head over and over.
' "Travis?"
"Yeah?"
"I love you."
"Y-you wh-what?!" Travis asked, shocked. He looked at Zane.
"I love you." Zane repeated. Travis stared at him.
"Y-you-"
"Travis. Listen. I love you. What isn't clear?"
Travis's head reeled. "Y-you... love me?"
Zane nodded.
"Z-Zane... I... love you too..."
Travis saw Zane smile. His visible eye sparkled. Travis felt himself leaning forward; Zane did the same. Just before their lips touched...
"Guys! Let's go back to the cabin!" Aphmau declared. As Travis and Zane fell apart in alarm, Aphmau gave them both guilty glances. Travis stood up and offered a hand to Zane, who gladly took it and stood up.'
Now, he watched Zane while they walked. Zane kept glancing at him, his mask hiding almost all traces of a smile. Travis could tell by the way Zane's eyes squinted slightly and how his cheekbones rose that he was grinning.
Travis fought the urge to just dive at Zane and make out with him. Zane seemed distracted, and Travis didn't want to kiss Zane unless he was comfortable with it.
He just confessed... and I confessed back.... Does that mean..? No, we'd have to ask the other person out...
Maybe I should ask Zane out.
As they stepped out of the forest, he heard Zane release a relieved sigh.
They walked around the edge of the cabin and reached the front. Travis paused by the door and let everyone pass him, but he stopped Zane by placing a hand on his shoulder.
Zane tilted his head in confusion but closed the door.
"Zane." Travis said.
"What is it?"
"Do-" Travis's attention was snapped away by a small white blur at the end of the forest.
"The rabbit!" Zane gasped.
Travis jumped away from the cabin and raced to the edge of the forest. He could hear his heartbeat in his ears and the small, terrified squeaking of the 'rabbit.'
"TRAVIS! COME BACK!" Zane called. Travis was aware of Zane chasing after him into forest.
Travis lunged. He landed on his stomach in a thorn bush, and his hands touched something small and furry. It made terrified whining noises as his hands closed around it carefully.
"It's okay!" Travis breathed. "I'm not going to hurt y-" He gasped as it rolled over and bit his arm with too-sharp teeth. Pain flared through his arm. Then, he was able to get a good look at it.
A small, white, blue-eyed wolf pup.
He ignored the pain in his arm and stood up, briars scratching at his arms as he exited the forest. Zane met him there, his expression shocked.
"You caught the rabbit!" Zane reached to touch it.
Travis jerked it away. The pup whined and writhed around.
"It's a wolf." Travis said through gritted teeth.
Realization flashed in Zane's eyes. "IT JUST CHANGED COLOR! WHY IS IT WHITE NOW?! IT ISN'T A RABBIT ANYMORE!" Zane jumped away.
"Now you believe me."
Travis put the wolf down and it scampered back into the forest. Travis looked at his arm and winced when he saw how bad it was bleeding.
"T-Travis.." Zane said softly. He gently held Travis's wrist up and got a closer look at his bleeding arm. "This is bad. I knew wolves can be vicious, but... pups?"
"Don't worry about it." Travis said quickly. "It doesn't hurt." He said, smiling through the intense pain throbbing through his right arm.
"B-but..." Zane released his arm carefully, looking up at Travis. "It's so bad..."
Travis smiled warmly. "It's okay, Zane."
Zane kept looking up at him. Travis, beginning to blush, started leaning down to close the distance between him and Zane. Zane slowly pulled down his mask and stood up on his tiptoes.
Travis was no longer aware of the pain in his arm as his lips touched Zane's.
This is it.
Zane wrapped his arms around Travis's neck and moved closer to him as Travis's arms curled around his waist. Travis's heart hammered in his chest. All he could think of was the soft feel of Zane's lips on his own.

Zane eventually pulled away, looking up at Travis and slowly replacing his mask. Travis was aware now of the nearly unbearable pain in his arm and the feeling of being watched. Aphmau, in the doorway, staring at them. Travis braced himself, expecting her to squeal, but she never did.
She just smiled at them.
"Glad to see you two getting along-" Her face shifted to an expression of pure horror. "TRAVIS! YOUR ARM!!"
Travis sighed. "I'm fine!"
Then, he staggered sideways. His head reeled.
"Get him inside!" Aphmau yelled, stepping out of the way as Zane held Travis's uninjured hand and led him inside. The last thing Travis saw was Garroth and Aaron rushing over from the other room.
Then, he passed out.

Travis woke up on the couch with a small headache and a dull throbbing pain in his arm, just below his elbow on the other side of his arm, right where the wolf pup had bitten him.
He looked around him. Zane was standing over the couch, but he was turned around, talking to someone behind him. Then, Zane looked down at Travis.
"You're awake!" Zane cried, dropping down onto his knees and hugging Travis. Travis winced as Zane leaned against his arm, but smiled anyway.
"Yes, i'm awake. How long have I been out...?" He said quietly.
"A few hours." Zane whispered, right next to his ear. "We were all so worried... especially me. Aaron hasn't stopped pacing since he put you on the couch. I uh... h-hope you don't mind th-that I changed your s-shirt.."
Travis glanced down at himself. He was wearing a different pajama shirt, this one with short sleeves. A bandage was wrapped around the injured arm; blood was just beginning to show through the white cloth.
     "I don't mind. Thank you." He said. "What'd you guys do for my arm?"
     "Aaron told me to take off your shirt. Then, he cleaned it up with a washcloth and looked at it for like a minute straight. He told Kawaii~chan to run outside and get some weird plant--it was shaped like a diamond and smelled like mint... can't remember what it was called--and he got it wet in the sink and put it on the bite. He put a bandage on it, told me to get you a clean shirt, and went over to Lucinda. They talked for about ten minutes, and then he started pacing."
     "Oh.. How bad did the bite look?"
     Zane stopped hugging him and glanced away.
     "I... I didn't look. Sorry."
     Travis pushed himself up to a sitting position and sucked in a breath when he felt dizzy.
      Zane sat beside him. "Aaron!"
     Aaron stopped pacing by the front door and immediately raced over to the couch. He hurriedly checked him for a fever, then started undoing the bandages on Travis's arm.
     When he removed the bandages, Travis had to look away. The wound was deep.
     "A pup caused this..?" Aaron asked.
     "Yes. The WHITE WOLF PUP THAT YOU SAID WAS A BLACK RABBIT bit me when I picked it up." Travis snapped.
     Aaron sighed. "Oh, no..."