XVI - The Verdict

I followed Evelyn into the courtroom and took my seat beside Lester. He sat with his hands in his lap, staring blankly into the space in front of him. When the jurors filed in and took their seats, he didn't even look in their direction.

I turned around to see where Amanda's family was sitting. Once I released Eric as a witness, he'd joined Liza in the balcony. Will and Brad Bailey were there as well along with some other friends and family.

"Will the foreperson please stand?" Judge Stone announced toward the jury box. Juror #7 stood up holding a folded piece of paper in her hand. "Have you reached a unanimous verdict?"

"We have, your Honor," the woman said, bowing her head. The bailiff accepted the piece of paper and delivered it to the judge. He put his glasses on and read it.

"Before I read this out loud, I want to say something. This has been a difficult case. I know there are family members here and I know they may be emotional after hearing the verdict. I expect everyone to remain calm. There will be no yelling or loud crying, please."

He looked down at the paper and read aloud, "We, the jury, find the Defendant, Lester Crowe, Guilty of First-Degree Murder."

There was an audible gasp from the balcony as the judge read the word guilty. I'm not sure who it was, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was Liza Dunbar. Lester never moved, didn't even look in my direction. The sting that typically accompanies unfavorable jury verdicts was strangely absent. Even though I wanted to see him convicted, I thought I would experience that familiar pang of disappointment either way.

"Would you like to poll the jury, Mr. Price?"

"Yes, Judge," I replied, standing. Lester followed suit.

The Judge turned toward the jury box. "Juror #1, how did you find?"

"Guilty," she said.

"Juror #2?"

"Guilty."

"#3?"

"Guilty."

The judge asked each juror in turn and all repeated the same damning word: Guilty.

When he was finished, the judge stood. "Members of the jury, you may be excused." Once the jury was gone, the judge addressed the courtroom.

"I am going to delay sentencing until next Wednesday, November 16th at 2:00 p.m. However, since everyone is here today, any parties that wish to make a statement for the Court may do so."

The victims' coordinator for the District Attorney's office stood. "Your Honor, Liza Dunbar, Amanda's mother, wishes to say something." She motioned toward the balcony. Liza walked down the stairs at the back of the courtroom and made her way to the witness stand.

"Mrs. Dunbar, you can go ahead and make your statement to the Court whenever you're ready," Paul explained.

Liza, eyes puffy and hands shaking, gently unfolded the piece of lined paper she held in her hand. She began to read the statement she'd prepared.

"Amanda was our...."she began, then stopped to compose herself, holding back sobs. "Amanda was our little ray of sunshine. She never met a stranger and always had a smile on her face. She loved cheerleading and cross-country. Amanda loved animals, especially our dog, Max. She wanted to go to school to be a veterinarian. She had so much potential. She was the best thing that ever happened to Eric and me." Liza stopped and looked over at Lester.

"Amanda will never be a veterinarian. She'll never lead a cheer again. She'll never feel the wind on her face as her tired legs pound the packed earth of a forest trail. She'll never make another person smile again, because you took her. I lie awake at night and think about how she must have felt when you took her life at the lake that night. How scared she must have been. And how unfair all of this is.