✗8

Kat walked up to her room, casually late, to meet up with Rodrick since the parents got a bit too much for the kids. Greg and Rowley went home at 8 to play video games so there would be nobody bothering Kat and Rodrick.

"Finally, I said to meet here like 15 minutes ago." Rodrick said sort of laughing.

"Well I'm here now." She said back sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah you are," Rodrick got up to take a guitar off of the wall, "so play me something."

"You really want me to play a song?" Kat said with a sincere smile.

"You can, right?" Rodrick whispered as if there was a group around them who might be shocked by a false statement.

"Yes I can, now give me that," Kat said swiping the instrument away from him, "this is my least favorite guitar, let me grab my epiphone."

"Play me your favorite song." Rodrick said sitting back on her bed.

Kat took a seat on her desk chair and had to think for a minute on which song to play. It hit her that her father's favorite, that he had taught her to play, was I Can't Help Falling In Love With You by Elvis. She started to play, thinking back on the time her dad had taught her to simply hold the guitar. Then he started to teach her the basic chords, before putting them in order to play the beautifully written song. Kat smiled as she neared the end because it reminded her of them times when her dad would start singing like Elvis, making her laugh every time. She liked learning from her dad before her got too busy with work and she got too old to be taught. Her fingers stopped playing and she looked up at Rodrick, who was still staring at the guitar.

"Elvis, what a classic." Rodrick said looking back up to meet her eyes.

"I like the way it sounds on this guitar, sounds less acoustic." Kat muttered trying to fill the air with words.

"You probably didn't expect me to ask you that." He said to her laughing.

"What did you think I was expecting," she continued, "I wasn't expecting this for sure but what were you thinking?"

"That maybe you and I would–" Rodrick started, quieting down and widening his eyes to try and get his point across.

"Ugh no, I would never." Kat stated shaking her head trying to make it seem she was cringing.

"Never? Really? I find that hard to believe." He said back to her rolling his eyes.

"You don't know a thing diaper boy." Kat said through the grits of her teeth while poking at his chest.

"Why so feisty kitty?" Rodrick said back trying to make this a game.

"I'm not in the mood Rodrick." Kat sighed while putting her guitar away.

"Mood for what?" He asked grabbing her arm back, "mood for me?"

"I honestly have no words right now." Kat said shaking her head in disbelief at the boy.

"Wait hold on, Kat, is this about what happened the other night?" Rodrick said trying to steer the conversation on the right path.

"Nothing happened, nothing at all." She answered holding her head in her hands.

"I felt something, I guess you didn't but I did." He protested, rising to his feet to prove his point further.

"Of course I felt something you idiot! That was my first kiss and it wasn't anything special but, yes, it was special to me too." She said before taking a huge sigh.

She didn't have to say anything else because Rodrick was already coming onto her to kiss her, and she let him. But, since they were alone in her room without parents, she wasn't expecting him to separate from her so quickly, not taking any more steps forward.

"Did I do something wrong?" Kat asked this time.

"Not at all, it's just, I want to take it slow with you." Rodrick said as Kat just nodded. "I'm used to trying to get with girls on the first date and I don't think any decent girl finds that appealing."

"No not really."

"And I like you but I want to find more reasons to like you, ya know?" He said getting excited and displaying a smile. "Like I want to know small, cute details about you first."

"You know you aren't like most guys Rodrick." Kat said with a chuckle.

"And you are not like most girls Katrina." He responded with a smile.

"So.. friends?" Kat asked trying to clarify what she was agreeing to.

"Best friends." Rodrick said holding his hand out for an agreement. Kat felt her heart drop very slowly as she shook the boy's hand. She finally understood why being in the friend zone was probably the worst position ever.

"I should probably get going, I have to destabilize my parents for their walk home." He joked as Kat gave him a small laugh again.

"Goodbye Rodrick." She said as he waved to her from the doorway. Kat threw herself back and laid on the bed staring at the ceiling. She couldn't move, she couldn't believe what just happened; she had been friend zoned.

Now this confused her even more because before this moment, she didn't even like him that much, at least that's what she told herself. She fought a constant battle between love and hatred and somehow she ended up dead in the center, no-man's land, the friend zone.

"I hate guys so much." Kat muttered to herself.

"Hey honey, your father and I are going to the market today so we won't be back till later." Kat's mom yelled to her half asleep daughter upstairs. She sat up straight in her bed to try and get out a response but then she heard the door to the garage slam shut.

She walked around her room to try and wake herself up before resulting to surfing the internet. A text popped up on her screen.

From Rodrick:
Apparently, last night, both of our parents bought a cabin for the four day weekend coming up...