Chapter 3: What Am I Gonna Do?

When I recieved word that I was accepted into the prestigous and difficult JYP training program, I was both overjoyed and astounded. Personally, I had felt my performance hadn't been the greatest, nor the most eye-catching, but I had been told that my charisma made be a liable canidate.

And then there was that girl.

Mina Myoui.

The blind one.

Ugh, I hate that term.

I really wondered about her. Was she approved well? Or was she hindered by her sight impediment? She had a lovely personality, and gorgeous features, but I spectulated that a someone with a typhlotic condition such as hers would endure a difficult time in the Korean entertainment industry. Perhaps I was wrong.

I hoped I was.

I wanted to see her again.

<><><><>

My last days at home consisted mostly of packing, saying goodbye to my schoolfriends, more packing, and overall all just mental preparation for what lay ahead of me. My mother in particular, though she seemed so thrilled that I would be pursuing my career, her face told me otherwise.

"Mom!" I yelled as I rifled through the contents of my suitcase wrecklessly. "Have you seen my glasses?"

"What honey?" Mom walked into my room, wiping her hands on the front of her apron. I knew she had been making a lunchbox full of kimbap for my travels, even though I wasn't moving too far away. "Oh, I think I saw them on the living room table. Next to the remote and by the tissue box. I believe your dad put it there while he was cleaning the area."

I looked up to thank her for helping me out, but my gaze was met by a frown. "What's wrong, Mom?"

She shook her head, but sat on my bed and beckoned me forward. When I settled down next to her, her warm arms encompassed me and I suddenly felt so safe and relaxed in her embrace. "Chaeyoung, I've supported you in your decision to pursue your dreams, but I want to let you know that there will be many, many hardships awaiting you. Hardships that will make you want to rethink your life, to quit what you love doing. That's what I'm worried about. My little Chaengie, you're a strong girl. You're optimistic and brave, but also a little stubborn. I know if you're hurt by something, you'll ignore it and turn to other things. I don't want you to ever hide any emotion pain you might be experiencing, Chaeyoung. Talk to someone. Form a close relationship with someone you trust and you relate to. Just my word of motherly advice, Chaengie. I love you so much; I'd never want you to fall apart on me."

I listened to my mother speak to me, and I watched as crystal droplets began to swirl in her vision, and in a moment, I felt my own geyser threatening to spill down my cheeks. Quickly, I wrapped my arms around her neck and said out loud, "Thank you" before turning around and wiping my oddly damp face. She chuckled, spun me around, and dabbed a single little bead that trickled down my nose.

"Chaeyoung. It's time for you to be on your way."

<><><><>

The ride to the JYP studio was different than my first excursion, being that it was a one-way trip. I probably wouldn't be going home for many months while I worked under the tutelage of various trainers in vocals, dancing, and my specialty; rapping.

Inside the new training center I was assigned to, amonst the girls who successfully passed the audition included: Park Jihyo (a vocalist), Im Nayeon (another vocalist), Kim Dahyun (the crazy dancing girl), Hirai Momo (the talented Japanese dancer), Minatozaki Sana (another Japanese girl), Chou Chewy (or supposedly "Tzuyu" in her native Taiwanese), and the boyish Jeongyeon. And Mina.