Chapter 6: Her Brother, Ideal Types, and Hot Chocolate

"Chaeyoungie..." murmured Mina in her usual somnolent ways, leaning comfortably against my back as she scratched her nose absent-mindedly. I couldn't help but let a grin escape my lips as she yawned. Together, we were seated on one of the big sofas that aligned the dorm's

"Yes?" I responded in an equally gentle tone, squeezing the tips of one of her fingers.

"I miss him," she asserted in a calm voice.

"Who?" I asked, on alert, wondering if this aforementioned "him" was a former associate or colleague of Mina, or even worst, an ex-boyfriend.

"Jackson." Mina ran a hand through her wine-colored hair and sighed deepy.

"That name strikes me as familiar," I stated, confused. "Yet I've never met him, nor have you talked about him."

"He was my older brother. He's been missing for a long time."

Oh, I remember Mina mentioning him when we first began living at JYP. "I have a brother named Jackson, but I haven't seen him for awhile now."

"Was he a nice guy?" I probed carefully.

"Jackson... He looked like one of boys who likes to pick fights and demonstrates that competetive aura, but you know what? In reality, he was just a big teddy bear. He and I got along very well."

"What happened to him, then?"

"I don't know," Mina shrugged. "He just disappeared one day. He was always arguing with our parents - they hated us, you know. We were nothing but money down the drain; especially me because of my sight impediment. They wanted him to marry into a rich family with a wealthy daughter. He abhored her, and I found myself detesting how she treated him." She smiled wryly off into space. "I guess he wanted to escape living a life of regret, so maybe he ran away. Maybe he killed himself. Chaeyoung, I really don't know what happened to my brother."

"Woah," I was at a lost for words. "He sounds like a nice guy. Too bad he was faced with a sucky life choice like that. What's the point of pre-arranged marriage, anyways? Nobody, on either end, likes it."

"For the benefits, I suppose," Mina said, considering the possibilities. "Not that the benefits last long."

"Man, I would hate forced marriage," I declared aloud. "Thankfully, I don't think my parents would ever do something like that."

Mina giggled. "You would prefer to pick and chose, huh. So would I. What's your ideal type of person?"

I could feel the beginnings of a very warm flush appearing on my face, but I managed to stammer, "Oh, you know, someone who takes care of me, but someone who I can also take care of as well. A fashionable person, perhaps. Someone who appreciates my affection."

"Really?" Mina's voice is knowing. "That's a good criteria."

"What about you?"

"Heh," she grinned in a boisterous manner, suddenly more awake than normal. "I like people who can lead me. Not just physically, but who can set me straight on my thoughts." She rubbed her chin. "A person with a clean disposition; someone who is gentle and friendly and nice. And most importantly," she held up a finger. "Someone who is conclusive, influencial and resolute."

"I see," I nodded, mentally seeing if I checked in any of those categories. "Those are also excellent standards for you ideal man."

"Ideal...man?" Mina's voice sounded perturbed. "Who said anything about...men?"

"W-well..." I floundered. "My bad, I just assumed..."

"Again," Mina wagged her index. "Never make assumptions with me." She flashed her gummy smile. "I'm not who I look like."