Chapter IV - Just A Door Closing

I talk and I smile. Fake smile. I laugh too, and I can hear how fake my laughter is. I dance, mainly with Lazarus or Constantine. I suspect they are forced to do so by their mates who take pity on me. I pretend not to notice him and his date.

He has another woman hanging onto his arm, yet his eyes are constantly following my every movement. Jealousy is eating at me and I hate how my body is responding to his heated gaze.

I don't understand this. I'm his erasthai. Why is he doing this to me?

After a while, it gets too much. I escape outside to one of the balconies. I need to breathe. I need fresh air. I need answers.

Banehallow Palace is on top of a hill. The lights from distant houses dotting the landscape below look like stars in a clear night sky. Cool night breeze touches my exposed arms and shoulders.

I'm aware of his presence behind me without even hearing his footsteps. He moves so stealthily and quietly. Like a shadow. Well, I knew he was going to follow me here. Isn't it why I am here on the balcony all by myself now?

"Mr. Rykov," I say quietly without turning to look at him.

"Persephone," he returns and moves to stand beside me.

The sound of my name rolling off his tongue send shivers down my spine. I feel the sizzle of warmth and electricity from the close proximity of our bodies.

"I think it's better that you stay away from me." His deep voice melts my inside like butter, but his words chill me. I turn to stare at his perfect profile as he stares out into the distance. In this light, his chiseled features seem more prominent, like he's carved from the marble. Cold and hard and unyielding yet so achingly beautiful.

"But I'm your erasthai...I know I am," I protest.

"Yes, you are," he reluctantly admitted, still staring out into the distance. I got the feeling he's trying hard not to look at me. "However, I don't need a mate. I have never wanted a mate, nor will I ever want one. Don't waste your time on me."

For a minute I just stand there staring at him, unable to fully comprehend what he just said. Then he turns his face to look at me. The intensity of those icy blue eyes hit me right in the chest. It almost knocks the breath out of my body.

"Why?" I whisper, truly confused yet mesmerized.

"Nobody should know about us either." He takes a step closer to me as if he can't help himself. He's so close, I could feel his body heat in the cool night air. I could smell his wonderful heady scent. I could feel the buzz of electricity in the air between us. My heartbeat and my body temperature rise. I could see hunger and longing in his captivating eyes as he stares down at me.

He lifts a hand to touch my face. It's just a ghost of a touch and I almost sway into it.

He is gone before I fully grasp what he meant. He left me staring at empty doors of the balcony.

Oh no...did he just said that to me? Really? Did I just get rejected by my non-mate???

He rejected me, but I want him. Oh, I so want him. He might've decided that we're not going to be together, but I decided otherwise. I look at the door where he disappeared through and smile. I'm Persephone Aspen Ruiz, will make him want me. I know he wants me. I saw the way he can't keep his eyes off of me. I won't give up until I get what I want, and what I want is that dangerous beautiful lycan. He won't be able to resist me.

I walk back inside more determine than ever that I'm going to make him want me. As much as he doesn't want anything to do with me, I can still feel his eyes on me. Our eyes still locked on each other from time to time. I think it doesn't escape his date. I think it infuriates her. At some point during the night, his date Karla turns and touches my shoulder.