Chapter I - Werewolf Among Sea of Humans

The lecture drones on

The lecture drones on. I stifle an urge to yawn. Why am I here again? Oh yea, to have a full college experience. I glance around me. I'm the only werewolf here in this lecture hall. The only werewolf among the sea of humans.

Oww...An elbow pokes me and I turn to scowl at my human friend Lily. She just giggles and grabs my arm to pull me closer so she can whisper into my ear, "Look at that hottie over there."

She draws an arrow on my notepad pointing towards a guy sitting two rows in front of us. I can only see the back of his head, but he seems okay. Tall, broad shoulders, short dirty blond hair. So this is the guy my three human friends were giggling and whispering about.

What are the chances that I found like-minded girls who are just as boy crazy as I am in a college like this? HUGE. I made friends with Lily, Amanda, and Keisha the first week I got here.

"Promising." I jot down on the pad next to the arrow.

"Promising? Penny, he's hot!!!" exclaims Amanda in a loud whisper as soon as she sees what I wrote. A few students turn to look at us in irritation.

Lily turns to the others and they start whispering and giggling again. I fight an urge to roll my eyes. They're so like high school girls. Well, maybe that's because they came here right after high school. I had three years to grow up a bit, though I doubt I look a day over 18...or if I was honest, behave much better myself.

I try to copy the note and the names of authors and titles of suggested reading scribbled on the board.

"Okay, Miss Promising," whispers Lily, turning to look at me again. "We dare you to go and talk to Mr. Hottie right after class," she looks at me smugly. Oh, I don't chicken out from dares. Ever. She knows that.

"What do I get out of this?" I quiz her.

"Cappuccino from your favorite cafe for his name and phone number," answers Amanda from beside her.

"Your whole lunch and that includes fries, paid for if you get him to join us for lunch today," adds Keisha.

"Plus that cappuccino?" I ask them. At their nodding heads, I say, "Done!" and start to gather my things together. I have to be quick to catch this "hottie" before he leaves the lecture hall.

I've been here almost a month now. I'm living with the lycans, but I've been trying not to spend all my time with them. Not that I don't enjoy their company, especially Genesis and Serena, but they have their mates. Every time I spend time with them, I feel like the fifth wheel or something. Their close and loving relationship with their mates remind me of how alone I am. Besides, Genesis is very committed to her art. She and Constantine are always having their painting session. Painting session. Ha!!! As if we don't know what they're up to.

The lecture ends and our target is getting up. Time to move my ass before "hottie" gets away.

"Get your money out bitches. Get ready to pay for my lunch," I mutter to them with a grin and a wink as I get up and sashay my way towards the "hottie".

The view from the front is actually quite nice. The "hottie" isn't that bad looking at all for a human. He's about six feet tall, nice body, dark gray eyes, and dirty blond hair. Not anywhere nearly as good looking as Darius, says a little nagging voice in my head that wouldn't shut up.

I shake my head a little. I'm here to forget all about that lycan. Forget about all the three years that I wasted over a man who doesn't want me. Never mind that not a day goes by that I don't think about him. Never mind that my heart aches every minute of the day. Never mind that there's a Darius's size hole in my heart. Then there's the anger that comes with it too. Stupid Penny. Stupid, stupid Penny. Now, focus!

I flash the "hottie" in front of me a flirty little smile.

**********************************

So we're letting Penny lose out in the big world among the humans. Don't know if we're ready for that yet.

Feel free to vote if you like that chapter, and don't be shy to comment. I missed hearing from a lot of you guys while I was quietly writing this story.

My next update will be on Wednesday evening (est).

Much love
Nicole