Chapter Nine

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

-Helen Keller

Nicolas

"Anything else you need, Mr. Roselli?" Alessandra fluttered her eyes at me curiously as she awaited my answer to her question. I looked up from my paperwork a bit overwhelmed by all the acquisition and merger papers I had to look over before submitting to my future business partners I was working with. I was silently praying to myself that all this work would slow down by the time Valeria had the baby; I wanted to be a completely hands-on father and didn't want work interfering with the bonding experience between my future daughter and me.

Valeria needed me now more than ever since she was getting bigger as the days went by. Her stomach was quite prominent at this point and I could honestly say I loved seeing her pregnant. Everything about her glowed and brought an immediate sense of comfort in me; it was crazy thinking I was going to be a father again soon. I was going to give Mila and our unborn daughter the father I've always craved.

One that loved unconditionally, never judged, and always made their children knew they were enough.

I never had that from my own father and I was going to fall into that wheel or pattern.

I was going to break it.

"Mr. Roselli?" Alessandra's voice shook me again and I looked up realized that I had spaced-out staring blankly at the numerous papers I was holding.

"Pardon me, Alessandra. I was lost in my thoughts, what were you asking again?" I said.

She watched me with a narrowed stare, "I was saying...if you needed me for anything else. But now that I'm looking at you, perhaps a coffee?" She suggested.

I shook my head, "Not at the moment thank you..." I shook my head.

She began walking towards the door of the office and she stopped just short of it before she turned back around, "Are you sure you're okay, Mr. Roselli? You have been out of it for the past couple of days." She questioned me.

I waved my hands, "I have a lot of things on my mind, Alessandra. I thank you for your concern, but you shouldn't be bothered by it." I informed her.

She pouted, "I'm your intern, it's my job to make sure you're feeling well.... perhaps I can offer you a massage?" Her thick Polish accent rung through the room causing me to look up at her with confusion.

"A massage?" I inquired.

She nodded a light smile playing on her face, "Yes... I am quite good with my hands. I'm sure it will take the tension off your muscles." She stated.

I frowned and narrowed my gaze, "Alessandra?" I called to her.

"Yes, Mr. Roselli?" She replied.

I pointed to the seat in front of me and she immediately walked over and took a seat in front of my desk. She crossed her leg over the other and flicked her strawberry blonde hair to the side of her face.

I sat up straight in my chair giving her a stern look, "Remember when I told you would be better off working under my wife than me?" I said to her.

She nodded unsure of where this was going, "Yes I do... but I specifically remember my parents wanting you to be my mentor, no offense." She said with a nervous laugh.

"I understand that and all..." I sat the papers down on my desk and leaned back. "But you are a woman... a woman who is going to be taking over your family company. You would plenty benefit being under the direction of my wife who has years of experience navigating in that realm. She has far more advice to give to you than I ever would. She's trained my sister into the wonderful businesswoman she is today." I explained to her.