Part 3

The Black Flame Online

For Year 50 Anno Satanas we have relaunched The Black Flame as part of the news feed. As you see below, The Black Flame is comprised of articles regarding the application of Satanism and its principles. Our members are encouraged to that offer what they've learned in their pursuit of their myriad indulgences. Practical wisdom, words to the wise, recipes, things worth pursuing, places of interest and even tips on how to move the world according to one's will. The Odditorium heading may include thoughtful reviews of music, literature, theatre, films and anything else that has brought pleasure. Within the articles of The Black Flame, Satanists will share what they've discovered in their ongoing journey of personal bliss.

To learn more about the original magazine, or to order past issues, visit .

Posted on Monday February 13, 2017

9 Questions, 9 Satanic Answers - Magister Carl...9 Questions, 9 Satanic Answers - Magister Carl Abrahamsson

Conducted & Translated by

Hello Carl. Thank you for taking the time to give an interview to Der Rabe.

As a starter, how would you explain Satanism to someone who comes again and again with the same old arguments like child molestation, animal sacrifice, and church burnings, to name but a few? It is after all difficult to make it clear to these bigoted humans and also to the media that this is bollocks.

I think the main thing to do is point to the web site of the Church of Satan, where everything is so clearly stated. And, in extension, to LaVey's own writings. If the people in question are intelligent enough to do that, then maybe A) nothing needs to be explained by you, or B) an interesting conversation could arise.

How did you personally arrive at this philosophy?

In my teens I felt attracted to Nietzsche but also to a magical approach to life. Of course, Aleister Crowley pops up immediately with his Thelemic philosophy. And LaVey. So that's what happened. I read a lot of books, and resonated with some of these writers and ideas. LaVey and his Satanism was one of these things I found invaluable, giving credence to both psychological and magical facets of the human mind, and connected to a Nietzschean philosophy.

We know each other for quite some time now and I do know that you personally got to meet Anton Szandor LaVey. How did you meet him and what person was he?

I was fascinated by LaVey and his Church and had read all of his writings. At the same time I was also obsessed with American pop culture, including movie stars like Jayne Mansfield. Given that she knew LaVey, I was inspired to write a song called Sweet Jayne, which I recorded with my band at the time: White Stains. I sent him the record and he wrote a really nice letter back, and making me a member at the same time. Then I went over to San Francisco to see him several times. He was an amazingly intelligent and humorous man who led a very interesting life. He was also supportive of what I was doing in terms of my own writing and publishing, and that initial inspiration has never really faded away for me.

You are not only a musician and a filmmaker but you also write and publish books. Your new book "California Infernal" was published recently. A wonderful collection of photographs of LaVey and Jayne Mansfield. How did you get to make this project and what does it mean to you?

It was like a "full circle" experience. My original inspiration (meaning LaVey's relationship with Jayne Mansfield) and that record led to my meeting LaVey. This was in 1987/88. In 2013 or thereabouts a Swedish collector, Alf Wahlgren, showed me his collection of photographer Walter Fischer's prints and negatives. And they were all of LaVey and Jayne, and also the early days of the Church. I was thrown back into the original inspiration and it was really fun. We decided to make a book, and that became California Infernal. That gave me a chance to tell that old story again, and also to have LaVey's old friend Kenneth Anger write a short memento-text. It really became an amazing book!