Enjoy Your Stay

"So are we calling the people with rotted flesh zombies?" Sean wondered aloud as they ran, starting to get out of breath. It felt like they had been running for miles, when in reality they had only ran less than one. It was a good thing they were so close to the hotel.

"No, they're not zombies. I don't know, just call them Infected since the government said that this is some kind of major plague going around." Signe panted, relieved whenever they arrived at the hotel.

The Infected were everywhere in the lobby, their attention quickly turning towards the group when they entered.

Mark muttered something under his breath before grabbing a lamp from the corner and swinging it at the heads at the Infected, plowing through the horde as if slicing through vines in the Amazons.

Signe glanced over at Amy in surprise, but she seemed just as shocked, unsure of what to do or if she should do anything. One minute he was silent and brooding, and now he was knocking people's lights out-literally.

The others followed close behind him, slightly terrified of Mark.

Mark tossed the lamp aside when Sean, Signe, Amy, and Robin managed to squeeze into the elevator.

"You okay?" Amy asked Mark quietly.

"Fine." Mark spoke coldly, curling his hands into fists. Everyone could tell that he wasn't, but no one decided to press the matter.

They had much bigger issues at hand.

"Took you guys long enough." Tyler panted tiredly with a small smile, sweat matting his dark curly brown hair to his forehead.

He held a small but lethal multipurpose tool in his hand, the knife extended and coated in blood. Ethan was trembling with fear, holding no weapon, but had Signe's art bag slung over his shoulder.

"Sorry I took it, the door was open and I figured we would need food. I didn't leave the art supplies there, they're still in the bag." Ethan assured Signe, offering the bag to her.

She nodded in appreciation as she took it, noticing that it was slightly heavier as she tried to make room for the two. Everyone stood shoulder to shoulder ad the elevator slowly descended down towards the lobby.

It froze two floors above their destination.

Tyler's eyes were wide with panic, his fingernails digging into the flesh of his arm and drawing blood as his breaths became short and shallow.

"He's claustrophobic." Mark remembered, seeming to snap out of his dark mood as he focused on calming his friend.

Meanwhile, Signe comforted Sean since she knew he was afraid of heights.

"What do we do?" Ethan asked no one in particular.

He got his answer from the elevator.

The cables snapped, sending them plummeting down two floors with an ear piercing metal screech, sparks flying as they slid down at a fast pace towards the ground.

Mark and Tyler managed to pull apart the elevator doors, everyone grabbing each other's hands before they jumped out.

Mark had managed to grab onto the ledge of the lobby floor while the elevator kept making its descent before crashing to the bottom.

"I can't hold on for much longer!" Mark shouted with a grimace, his arms feeling like they were being ripped from their sockets.

"Everybody climb up, starting from the bottom!" Tyler barked.

Robin was first, apologizing as he used Signe, Sean, Ethan, Tyler, and Mark as a ladder.

Signe was next, Robin helping her up as well whenever she reached the top.

Sean followed her, trying, but failing, to keep his eyes trained in anything else but the dark abyss below them.

Ethan managed to get up, slipping once, but managing to regain his balance as Sean helped pull him up.

Mark swung his arm to the side, allowing Tyler to reach and grab onto the ledge to pull himself up.

"This is why...I don't skip arm day." Mark gasped for breath, massaging his sore muscles.

"Anybody have service?" Ethan frowned as he activated his phone.

None of them had service.

"Should we stay here for the night?" Mark looked around.

"It's easier to defend with one door." Tyler mused.

"But that's our only way out as well." Mark countered.

"I think we'll be fine here, but we need to go out and get supplies. Who knows how long this shit will go on." Sean sighed in exasperation, running a hand through his hair.

"I agree." Robin chimed in.

"Its late now, so everyone should get some sleep. Amy, Sean, Signe and I will go look for supplies in the morning while Tyler, Robin, and Ethan stay here to make sure no one breaks in or anything while we're gone." Mark decided.

"Sounds good." Sean yawned, flopping down onto one of the couches and curling up into a ball before falling asleep. Signe slept on the opposite end of the couch, laying her bag by her.

Mark and Amy took the other couch while Robin, Tyler, and Ethan both found a chair to sleep in. Before long, everyone was peacefully sleeping.

Except Mark.

Every time he closed his eyes, he could see his fans jumping in front of him to save his life from the Infected.

"What's wrong?" Amy seemed to sense Mark's sadness as she reassuringly squeezed his hand.

"While I was there at the convention...one of my fans shoved me out of the way of an Infected....I didn't even know their name." Mark explained ed as he felt tears well up in his eyes.

"What matters is that you're okay. They did that to save you because you are important." Amy smiled sadly as she hugged Mark. He rested his head against he shoulder, his tears soaking through her shirt while she quietly hummed a song in his ear until he fell asleep.