Chapter 12

Coming down the stairs, my mind is going through all my emotions. Miles, school, my real parents, being a princess, and the supernatural.

     Hunter especially.

     "Hunter is already something to us. He is our mate. Already destined since before our birth." is what Artemis would say if I try to say otherwise. If there is anything that I know out of this whole mess is that Hunter may or may not be my mate, but that doesn't define my feelings for him. My heart is earned, not given by default.

     "Alina, do you want to meet Miles at the hospital?" Michael asks.

     "I do, but I don't want to leave the girls, and I don't want them to be worried while waiting for them to let us visit him there." my shock has washed away. Now, I'm only worried and angry.

     Keep in mind I don't get angry often. Unless it's with Hunter.

     "Me and Cora can keep an eye on them. Michael can go with you." Hunter offers.

     "We will?" Cora seems sincerely confused in a comical way which makes me laugh a bit.

      "Just call us to tell us how it's going." Hunter bent down to their eye level once again and the girls rush right over to him, showering him with hugs. Almost like he's a child magnet.

     One problem out of a hundred solved.

     I go over to my little sisters, ruffling their hair a bit which makes them jump and pile up on top of me. I can't help but wince at the pain from my bruise, but thankfully they didn't notice.

     "Bring Miles back okay?" They all manage to say in unison. They're worried and scared, and I am too.

     "I promise."

     I hope.

     Once the dog pile is over I pick myself up from the ground, take one last look at my family before going on my way with Michael. Michael and I walk the whole way, about a half hour walk. Thankfully it's a quiet walk. I have too much on my mind to handle a conversation. Once we get to the right floor at the hospital I go to the front desk where a woman with nearly platinum blonde hair with crazy colored highlights; pink, blue, and green.

     "Excuse me, did Miles Harvey arrive here yet? He's in critical condition." I say in a panic, but the nurse doesn't seem fazed at all. She begins typing at the computer in front of her all while chewing obnoxiously on a piece of mint gum so strong her breath alone is burning my nostrils.

     "He's in emergency surgery right now. Take that corner to your left to go to the waiting room. I'll let the doctor know you are here when he comes out." she says it in such a monotone way, like she's reached the time of day where she just doesn't care anymore.

     "Thank you." Michael says before I can and we take the nurse's directions. Just like the walk over here, Michael and I sit in silence.

     "Hey Alina?"

     So much for silence.

     "Yea?" 

     "What's up with you and Hunter?"

     "What do you mean?" oh great.

     "Is he your.... you know....mate?"

     "That's what Artemis has been telling me. Why?' nothing against him, but I do not want to talk about this.

     "A little early, huh?"

     "What do you mean?"

     "It used to be that spirits would usually find their mate a bit earlier in life. Around the age of 15, but ever since the Panther family came to rule we've taken our own pace. Or even if we want to find them or not. " I'm intrigued. My family. They seem to have accomplished so much, and they must have done something right for there to be so many people who like the way they rule. It also feels like it's someone else's family.