Joining

The White Snake's blue eyes shifted from the dead bandit to Ezra's smiling face. "Did you kill this man?" he asked.

Ezra shrugged. "Yep. He seemed to be going after you all, so I figured I'd do you a favor."

Hak frowned. "We could've handled him."

Ezra laughed. "Oh, I've no doubt."

The White Snake's eyes narrowed. "Was that sarcasm?" he asked.

Ezra tilted her head, peering at the silver-haired man. "Why would I be sarcastic?" she asked innocently.

This only seemed to confuse him. He frowned, not bothering to reply.

"Why were you in this area?" Hak asked her.

"I was wandering," she replied. "And then I saw your group, and I was curious about you. I was going to follow you for a while before making myself known, but..." she trailed off, glancing at the bandit she'd killed. "Well, that happened."

"You were wandering by yourself?" the girl asked, a crease appearing in her brow.

Ezra glanced at the girl, whose eyes were a darker shade of violet than hers, and nodded. "Yep!" she responded cheerfully.

"Why?" the girl asked.

Ezra held up her hands. "Hey, hey, I'm not asking why your friend over there has a claw for a hand or why your other companion is always wearing a mask. Sometimes, it's not nice to ask questions of someone you've just met."

The silver-haired man frowned at his claw, his fingers curling.

"Oh." The girl looked disappointed. "Well, I'm Yo--"

"Rina!" Hak interjected quickly, shooting his companion a look. "Her name's Rina."

Ezra quirked an eyebrow. "Rina, huh?"

Yo--Rina looked sheepish as she smiled. "Uh, yeah."

Ezra knew they were hiding something, but, true to her words, she refused to ask questions.

"This is Hak," Rina said, gesturing to the midnight-haired man, "and that's Kija." The man with the claw nodded in greeting.

"Lovely to meet you all," Ezra said. "Well, not so much you, Hak. I'd probably be happier with you if you hadn't pointed at me with your glaive."

Hak shrugged, not looking the least bit apologetic. "You are keeping us from our dinner, you know," he told her.

At the mention of dinner, Ezra's stomach growled. Loudly.

Ezra looked sheepish. "Uh, sorry."

"You're hungry, aren't you?" Rina's eyes sparkled with understanding. "Come on. We'll give you some food."

"No, you really don't have to--" Ezra protested, but Rina grabbed her hand and began towing her towards their camp.

"I insist!" Rina told her sternly. Ezra sighed and surrendered, following after the red-haired girl obediently. Hak and Kija fell into step behind them with a chuckle.

"Yun! We've brought a friend!" Rina called as they entered their camp.

The strawberry-blond boy Ezra had seen earlier turned his attention away from the delicious soup he was cooking, frowning at Ezra in distrust. "Who is this?" he asked.

"I'm Ezra," Ezra said, saluting smartly.

Yun's frown only deepened. He glanced at Rina. "Are you sure about this, Pr--"