An Open Road

"Are you sure you're ready to travel, Yona?" Ezra asked, her brow furrowed in concern. It had only been a few hours since their encounter with Hiyou. Yona had to be in a good deal of pain, but the princess was putting on a brave face for the sake of her companions.

Yona gave her friend a bright smile. "You traveled perfectly fine after getting a wound like this in Awa!" she pointed out.

"Yes, well..." Ezra trailed off, realizing she had no idea how she'd meant to finish that sentence.

"You should rest more, Yona," Yun told her with a frown.

"You're both being overprotective!" Yona exclaimed. "We've been traveling even when the others have injuries worse than this!"

"Yeah, but unlike them, you're human! They're demons!" Yun protested.

Ezra tilted her head, offended. "Even me?"

Kija glanced to the side at Hak. "They're talking about you, Hak."

"Nope, they're definitely referring to you," Hak responded.

"It's about everyone!" Zeno chimed in with a large smile.

"Yona!"

Everyone turned, their bickering forgotten, to find Lili rushing towards them with a wrapped package held carefully in her arms.

"Hi Lili!" everyone chorused.

"Are you leaving already?" Lili asked Yona.

"Yes."

Lili shoved her package into Yona's arms. "T-take this with you," she said with a slight stutter. "They're the famous Water Tribe honeydew buns."

"Yay! Food!" Zeno cheered, raising his arms above his head in excitement.

"There have been a lot of terrible things happening around here recently, but usually the Water Tribe territories are filled with beautiful and delicious foods," Lili said, shifting her weight in embarrassment. "I just wanted to remind you that beauty is here, too."

"Yeah," Yona agreed with a smile. "The hot spring was fun."

For a split second, Lili's eyes widened in surprise. Then she answered Yona's grin with a blinding smile of her own. "Yeah!" she agreed.

"Well, we need to go," Yona said, turning. "We're off!"

"Take care!" Lili called as the group began to move away. "And thank you for everything!"

Ezra waved over her shoulder as they walked away. A moment later, Hak stepped up to walk alongside her.

"Do you still dislike her?" he asked, leaning his glaive against his shoulder.

Ezra sighed. "I don't dislike Lili," she admitted. "She just... frustrates me. She is quick to judge and even quicker to speak, and has a knack for getting herself into situations that she can't get out of without someone's help."

"That's true," Hak conceded. "But she's strong-willed and willing to do whatever she can to help."

Ezra raised an eyebrow. "Yes. It's admirable. And it's exactly how she'll end up in way over her head."

Hak laughed. "Anyways, what's the deal with you and Shinah?"

"What do you mean?" Ezra asked, surprised at the turn in the conversation. "He still hasn't spoken a word to me."

"Really?" Hak said, frowning. "But he followed you when you went after Hiyou."

Ezra sighed. "Of course he did. Whenever he thinks I'm in danger, he's there. But as soon as the threat passes, it's as if he doesn't know me."