Chapter 1: Taken Sight

Enter: Plain Sight

Naruto walked down the streets of The Village Hidden in the Leaves, or Konohagakure to be technical with it. He was on his was on his way to his favorite ramen shop to get ready for the graduation exams that were going to be taking place at the academy tomorrow.

People glared daggers at him as he walked by. Naruto tried to pay no attention to them as he kept walking to Ichiraku's. They didn't faze him as much as they did when he was younger but it still pained him to have to feel the hate every time we walked passed. The villagers used to try and attack Naruto when he was younger too, so this wasn't really anything compared to back then. He doesn't get attacked because the Hokage had assigned a couple of Anbu to watch over Naruto and protect him if anything happened. The villagers backed off when they found that out, much to Naruto and the Hokage's relief.

The night's darkness was filled with Konoha's shop and home lights, making the way around the village easier to navigate through. Naruto had Ichiraku's in his view and sprinted the rest of the way, eager to have his favorite meal.

He stopped right in front of the shop, looking at the banners that hung down from the overhang of the shop. He smiled, knowing that the owners of the stand Teuchi and Ayame, would show him nothing but kindness. He was their best customer after all.

Naruto walked in and sat down at his usual spot at the counter. Teuchi walked up to the front and smiled at Naruto. "Would ya like your usual Naruto?" He asked.

"You bet! I have my Genin exams coming up and I need all the strength I can get!" Naruto replied as Ayame greeted him and got to work on the order.

"Well, then this meal's on the house!"

"Really! Thank's old man!" Naruto's order was placed in front of him and the sight of it practically made him drool. "Itadakimasu!" With that Naruto dug into his meal making sure he left nothing in the bowl. Teuchi laughed at Naruto's love for ramen and began to close up shop.

"Thank's old man! See ya later!" Naruto yelled as he ran down the street.

"Bye Naruto!" Ayame and Teuchi chorused.

Naruto made his way down the street, heading in the direction of his apartment building. The place was very run down in comparison to other apartment buildings, it was cheap that's for sure. The streets around the building didn't have working street lamps either, making it all the more difficult to get through.

Naruto slowed his pace and slowly walked down the dark streets. People had turned in for the night and had left the dark, cold street, for the comfort of their homes. No one was out right now, making the village look almost like a ghost town. Of course on the more expensive side of the village, people were out gambling, drinking, and spending time with their friends and family all night long.

Everything seemed to be eerily quiet though. There were no sounds from the crickets who were normally chirping at this hour, there was no random cat or dog rummaging through trash cans, nor the sound of the light breeze that always seems to hang around. It was so quiet that Naruto could possibly only hear the sound of the stars flashing from the sky above him.

The twelve-year-old stopped walking and looked around. The silence was deafening, and kind of frightening as well. He gulped silently and just looked. His blue eyes squinted a bit to try and make out anything from the dark.

Silence...

Silence...

Silence...

Snap...

There was a sudden snap of a twig and some leaves, making Naruto jump and turn around quickly. One of the street lamps that were previously dead and giving off nonexistent light start flickering on and off, making everything seem much eerier.