4 - WELCOME AGENT

Washington, D.C was not a long drive but it gave Alec a chance to think about what he was doing, what life he would be giving up and taking in return. All his life he had never considered that he would leave the army and step into a private sector. Something like that did not happen with regular soldiers, meaning somebody had seen something worthy within him. The months that led up to his departure he had vowed to drop the gun and try a normal life. He used to dream of opening up a hardware store and be there for Poppy, but things had not turned out that way, for many reasons. Alec Thayer was a restless soul and that meant a chance at a mundane life had never been an option. Maybe the move was a fresh start at something he had always wanted but never could quite reach. 

As he drummed his fingers along the steering wheel he shifted his gaze towards the rearview mirror, watching Poppy sleep in the backseat. Her dark curls were fanned around her shoulders, her chest rising and falling peacefully. There was a book in her lap, some murder mystery she was currently reading. Poppy had not thought twice about his offer at letting her come along to Washington, D.C with him. She knew he would not be happy staying in their small life and all she ever wanted was his happiness, meaning she would sacrifice her friends and her comfortable schooling life to see him more often. He had promised they would be spending more time together, actually getting a chance to be a family without him leaving for months on end. She would not hold him to that promise though, she knew better than that. Thankfully, her new private school offered a boarding option if something changed and she needed somewhere safe to stay while he was away. 

The hum of a soft tune of music drifted through the car, a song Alec's mother used to play when she was cooking dinner and would pull him into the kitchen, holding his hands as they swayed to the music. The very melody made him question if this was the right choice. But it was too late now because fate was slowly setting in and nobody could ran from that. 

***

"This place is nice," Alex mumbled once he had killed the engine in a gravel driveway. The house was small but sweet enough for just the two of them. Just located on the outskirts of the city, the house looked picture perfect. A red front door and a wrap-around porch, along with a shady tree in the front garden. It was the type of house every kid deserved to grow up in. Poppy heaved her duffle bag from the backseat, glancing up at the house and trying to hide a smile. 

A new figure stepped towards them, her slick black car parked on the curb. The light wind rustled through her red curls as she crossed her arms over her chest.  "Yeah, nice being all American cookie cutter pleasant." Her voice rang out, a little bitter. Poppy ignored her, heading towards the front steps where she sent a real smile over her shoulder at her brother, a hope flashing in her pretty eyes. 

"I never asked, how did Fury land a house on such short notice?" Alec questioned, heading towards the boot of the car and grabbing the first box of their belongings. Most boxes were scribbled with Poppy's writing, indicating what was in each box. The meeting with his new boss had only happened a short five days ago, meaning the Thayer family had packed up their lives rather quickly, cutting all ties to an old life. 

Natasha Romanoff gave him a sly smile, "Director Fury," She corrected him, knowing this soldier had far to come within the organisation. He may have been a decent army brat but to be the best within S.H.I.E.L.D he had a lot of training ahead of him. "He has ties everywhere, it wasn't hard to find a sweet neighbourhood with a two bedroom house. A little too sweet for my taste."

Alec found himself frowning, just wondering what her deal was. He had dated briefly when he was younger and found most of the women he had stumbled across had dreams of suburbia, even just a little bit. His gaze drifted back up to Poppy, already gone from his sight as she explored the house. Natasha bent down, grabbing a box labeled kitchen stuff and hauling it into her arms. Her jacket slipped a fraction with the action, revealing a scar along her collarbone, something that was a sliver line but he knew battle wounds all too well. "How long have you been working for Director Fury?" He questioned as they made their way up the driveway.  

"A few years." She shrugged effortlessly. 

He knew that was all he was getting out of her. "Okay, how did you get that scar near your neck? I've seen scars like that, they usually fade slowly."

Natasha sent him a look, wondering why he was suddenly being so chatty. She saw the thrill in his eyes and the promise that he was nothing but trouble when push came to shove. Which made her wonder why he was so inclined to take care of his sister with a life like his own. "We can share battle scar stories later, Thayer. For now," She jolted her head towards the house. "It's my job to make sure you're settled in before training starts. It's a way of saying welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D before the real funs begins."

That earned her a smile, something so soft it questioned how lethal this man truely was. "I am a mission to you, is that all?"

"It's whatever you wish to call it," She nodded, dropping the box just inside the doorway. Inside she got a good look at the wooden floorboards and the empty spaces that would soon be filled with furniture and trinkets of a life that belonged to the Thayer clan. "I suggest you rest up, soldier. If training doesn't kill you...I just might." 

He wasn't sure if she was flirting but he liked the way the words rolled off her tongue, along with the sparkle in her light eyes. He found himself all too curious about Agent Romanoff and was rather thankful they would soon be sharing quite a lot of time together. He dropped the box at his feet, giving her a nod of his head. "I'm stronger than I look, trust me."

"I do not trust easily." Natasha pointed out, crossing her arms once again. He noticed she did like quite a lot, maybe it was a tool to close herself off from others. 

Alec slipped past her into the house, letting his gaze drift back over at her as his lips pulled up into a half smirk. "I always did like a good challenge." 

Then he was disappearing into his new house, calling out for his sister to help loading in the rest of the boxes. Natasha stood on the porch for a moment longer, wondering what Fury actually saw in him and hoping he wouldn't cause too much trouble. Little did she know, this man would bring her nothing but pain and trouble.