29 - TO BEGIN THE WAR

A tainted past had bled into Natasha Romanoff's very being; it had hardened her heart, it had corrupted her soul and changed everything that had once been innocent and pure. Although that life within the Red Room was long gone, it still haunted her. Even now, she was very paranoid, even to the point she always knew every exit in a building and never took the same road home. With the strings that played her like a puppet for so many years, it had left her scared and that would never leave her. Which was why, she was deeply paranoid something would go wrong today and Poppy Thayer would suffer because of it. 

"You're leaving me here, in some random underground basement while you save the world? This isn't remotely fair. Come on, Nat." There was a cruel displeasure in Poppy's voice when Natasha had told her to stay here, to stay far away from her brother. "He's my brother, he needs me."

Natasha pinched the bridge of her nose, "Poppy, I don't want to be the bad guy--"

"Then don't." Poppy jolted back with, arms crossed over her chest. They were schedule to move out any second now, heading towards S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters to take down HYRDA and stop the world from being destroyed once again. "Let me come with you. If Alec's being brainwashed, I can reach him. I can save him."

The spy was not so sure. "He didn't even know me. He's not the same, okay? Whatever HYRDA did to him, they stripped everything we used to know about him. He's just gone and honestly, I'm not sure we can reach him." Natasha started, the fear leaking into her own voice. She didn't want to be so blunt with Poppy, but it had to be done so she would stay away. "Today we're going to stop HYRDA and maybe that includes Alec now."

Poppy blinked back hot tears. "You said, not an hour ago, that you would to bring him back. You promised me that everything would be completely fine. Now, you're telling him my brother isn't even in there anymore." Her anger slipped through, her shoulders clenching with a hot flush of pain. "What happened to that promise, Nat? Was that a lie?"

The line between them had been drawn in the sand and although it almost killed Natasha Romanoff to hurt Poppy, to see the pain flash in her eyes with the truth, she would always rather pain and hatred against her over loosing the only piece Natasha had left of Alec Thayer, somebody she had never wanted to love in the first place. Poppy Thayer was her last connection to the soldier that matched her own soul and she was not about to let that slide away. "I'm a spy, Poppy. Lying is my second nature. When are you going to learn that?"

"That's total bullshit," Poppy screamed hopelessly, her tiny frame shaking with frustration. Natasha had strapped in her second gun into its holster ready to begin the war. The Russian spy tilted her head, loving the girl standing before her even more with her stubbornness. "You can play the whole I'm a spy so don't trust me card all you want but I see right through it. You're more than a spy. Alec knew that too."

Natasha squared her shoulders, the time ticking away. "я люблю тебя."

"I hate when you speak in Russian," Poppy hissed out in spite, watching as Natasha grabbed her jacket and headed to the door without another glance over her shoulder, reading her mind and body for what was about to come. With a loud sigh, Poppy dropped to the chair and stared down at the bracelet clipped around her wrist. "I love you too." She whispered finally, knowing very well Natasha couldn't hear her anymore. 

When the room fell too quiet, a new figure stood in the doorway. Samuel Hardings had his hands shoved deep into his pockets, watching the girl he had been crushing on for so many years, even when she hated him. He cleared his throat and her head snapped up. "What do you want, Hardings? I thought you left."

Samuel wandered into the room, "Nah, I thought I would stick around a little longer."

"Well, that's a stupid idea." Poppy snipped out. "There's nothing we can do now. Nat and the others have already left and she's benched me with some lame notion in trying to protect me. It's like she doesn't realise he was my brother and if anybody can bring him back, it's me. But like whatever, we're only kids...what can we even do?"

A grin touched Sam's lips and he held up his car keys. "Are you against being a little rebellious in the name of saving your brother, Pops?" 

With a gleeful scream, Poppy was jumping up from her chair and rushing towards him. Her fingertips grabbed for his keys, a little proud and unbelievably happy this Stark boy had promised to stay around in order to help her out. Without thinking, Poppy was letting her free hand curl around the nape of his neck and draw him close. Her soft lips were pressed to his own before he could even begin to process that Poppy Thayer was kissing him. When she stepped away, she smiled. "Hmm, not bad. Let's go save my brother."

Samuel nodded blankly, "Uh, you just kissed me--" 

Poppy glared at him, "Tell a soul and I'll ruin you."

He tried not to smirk, his heart crashing against his ribcage. "Noted."

***

While two teenagers planned another way to reach S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters; Captain America, Black Widow, Agent Hill, Agent 47, Sam Wilson and Director Fury went ahead with their war against HYRDA. Hidden in disguise, Natasha blended in with the World Security Council that was meeting with Alexander Pierce to see the final launch of Project Insight. Each Council member had been given a pin for unrestricted access, which everyone wore and proceeded upstairs. Meanwhile, Steve Rogers was downstairs ready to address all agents within the building. 

"Attention, all S.H.I.E.L.D agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control." His speech was broadcasted among the lower levels, Agent 13 witnessing the entire thing first hand. "They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

While Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson moved to the launch bays, Project Insight still in process, Maria Hill was directing them from her position in the control room. Upstairs with the World Security Council, Alexander Pierce was showing his hand. With the truth coming clear, Councilman Rockwell and Singh were signalling him to be arrested, but HYRDA agents stormed the room, one of them being Alec Thayer. 

"Let me ask you a question. What if Pakistan marched into Mumbai tomorrow, and you knew that they were gonna drag your daughters into a soccer stadium for execution?" Alexander Pierce questioned, his little speech quite impressive with his personal Winter Soldier standing tall and mighty behind him. "And you could just stop it with a flick of the switch. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you all?"

Councilman Singh stepped up, challenging the man. "Not if it was your switch." Suddenly, Alec Thayer was handing his leader a gun, a second one poking up from his pocket. Alexander pointed the barrel right at Singh, a little smug. 

With so much grace, Natasha who was still in disguise swiftly pushed Singh aside, while disarming a few other HYRDA agents. When she fully straightened, her fingertips touched a tiny device near her ear which removed the perfect disguise. Red hair fell around her shoulders now, a smile touching her lips so softly as the gun was now pointed across at Alexander. "I'm sorry. Did I step on your moment?" 

Suddenly, the glass door was banging open and a tiny sixteen-year-old girl tumbled into the room, her lungs on fire from sprinting up the many levels. Samuel Hardings was right behind her, eyes narrowed and his lips drawn into a tight line. Poppy Thayer almost cried with the very sight of her brother, who stared across at her, the gun from his pocket now tightly in his grip. Without an order, his gun was aimed at her. "Alec? It's me. It's Poppy. Your Poppy." His kid sister tried, her voice pleading. 

Nobody moved, nobody even blinked as Alec Thayer's finger hovered over the trigger. "I don't know a Poppy."