chapter eight - letters and love

Since Dimitri left to return home, Rose acted like nothing changed. She watched as all her sister fell in love. She watched Lissa and Christian fall more in love with each other. Jainie was even happy about the union made between them. They would be getting married in 4 months. She watched Jill and Eddie, Mia and Mason. Rose and Sydney watched all of them fall in love, set unions and plan their weddings.

One day a few weeks after Dimitri left Rose and Sydney walked into town to get away from all the love birds. On the way they stopped at Mrs. Alberta's for some afternoon tea. There they had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Adrian Ivashkov.

He was a big flirt with blonde hair, green eyes and about 5'11. He started flirting with Rose the moment they walked in the door. Rose always brushed him off, and pushed him to Sydney,  knowing Sydney  liked him. But Sydney's quiet nature kept her to herself when it came to men.

After two months of knowing the Muzar family Adrain started to have feeling for Sydney and a union was set. He seen Rose brush off any men that showed any interest in her.

About a week after Dimirti left, his letters started coming in. Rose lived for those letters. She prayed everyday that he would arrive home safely and return to her with the union between them aloud. In the four months he was  gone a pattern emerged, everyday she would take her latest letter with her and read or re-read it on her walk. With the letter service the way it is many letters would get lost in transit.

One evening as Rose was taking her walk she re-read her favorite letter,

My dearest Roza,

I am almost to Russia. The closer I get the more pain I feel from our distance. I also get more nervous the closer I get to my mother, knowing she needs to stop this union my father wished for.

My Roza, I dream of you every night. Holding you in my arms and watching our children grow. I can spend eternity gazing into your eyes. I am in love with you Miss. Muzar. When I realised that was what I was feeling I wanted to shout it out over the open sea to the world. But knowing this union between us is secret, I am writing it down for you.

I can not wait to see you again Roza. Once I have settled things with my mother I will return to you. I will never leave your side again once I am back and I never want to feel this pain again because I'm not with you.

I love you My Roza.
Mr.Dimitri Belikov
(Your Comrade)

Rose had tears in her eyes upon reading it again, just like every time she read it. Then whispering "I am in love with you too."

In the state Rose was in she did not notice she was being followed until it was too late and a burlap sack was over her head. She screamed for help but only a small sound escaped her lips as she was knocked unconscious.

When Rose woke up, she was laying on a unfamiliar bed with her hands tied behind her back. Sitting up she noticed, in a chair sat a man Rose did not know.

"Who are you and what do you want with me?" Rose asked the man.

"Hello Miss. Muzar. Please let me introduce myself.  I am Mr. Victor Dashkov and what I want from you is a long story."

Rose looked around, hiding her fear. Looked back at the man said,

"Well Mr. Dashkov, it seems I have time for a long story. Seeing that you have me held here."

Mr. Dashkov chuckeled at her words.
"This is going to be lovely my dear."

Rose just watched him, waiting for him to start his story.

"Well let me begin by telling you that I used to work with someone. Then took over a part of his business when he passed. I used to work with Mr. Randall Belikov."

Rose was shocked hearing this but did not let it show. "And what does that have to do with me?" She asked.

"Well my dear, you see I know that your father saves some women in my trafficking ring. But that is not why I brought you here. You see there is a union that must take place. And from a letter that have intercepted from Mr.Dimitri Belikov that was addressed to your father, I know that you are the one standing in the way of this union to happen. I was quite surprised by this as I originally thought he was doing business with your father. Once I received the letter I wanted to know what type of business it was. But upon opening the letter I seen that it was secretly addressed to you."

Rose knew from what Dimirti had told her that this was the man whom took over the drug and human trafficking ring his father used to run. She also knew that he was talking about the union between Dimitri and Miss.Ozera. After thinking a minute she asked, "Why do you want the union between Mr.Belikov and Miss.Ozera to happen so badly?"

"Well this union has been set between his father and her mother since Mr.Belikov was born. And her mother is my sister, you see. I would do anything to keep my sister happy. In any way I can. To keep my sister happy I have to keep her daughter happy. Right now she is not, as her brother had set a union with your sister and will marry before Miss.Ozera.  Miss.Ozera is not happy with this because she is 15 years older then him. My sister, Mrs. Ozera wanted me to find out why Mr. Belikov has not agreed to the union and set a date with Miss. Ozera."

"I know of the union between them. But who says I'm the reason it has been delayed?"

"Miss. Muzar, from the letter I have I know that he is in love with you but there is nothing that can break this union!"

"Are you sure about that Mr. Dashkov?" Rose asked as sweetly as she could.

"Yes I'm sure. She has spent years with his family getting to know each other. And he is to much of a gentleman to force himself on her before they are wed. She is 36 years older and is ready to start a family with him and wants this marriage to happen as soon as possible."

Rose laughted at this. From what she gathered Mr.Dashkov knew nothing about the affair and that she already started a family. "Miss. Ozera is not as innocent as you seem to think Mr. Dashkov, she had an affair with the late Mr.Belikov and had a secret child with him, that her parents have passed off as their own." She told him sounding bored.

"What?! Who told you these lies? Miss. Ozera is still pure even at her age."

"Mr.Belikov told me on our first meeting. He also told me that he could not agree to the union because of this fact."

Getting angry, Mr. Dashkov stormed from the room. Rose could hear shouting but could not make out the words. When a few minutes later Mr. Dashkov returned dragging Miss. Ozera in with him.