Chapter 2: I'll always protect you

IMPORTANT: I don't own this pic.

*time skip: Two and a half years later. Shadow is five years old while Sonic is three years old*

It was a beautiful and sunny day and Shadow and Sonic were in the garden, their parents sitting at the table on the porch, watching their children while they were playing. "Haha, you can't catch me Shadow." Sonic claimed as he was playing tag with his big brother. Shadow was trying to keep up with his little brother but whatever Shadow tried, he wasn't able to get near Sonic. Sonic was smiling victoriously and speed up until he noticed Shadow wasn't running after him anymore. His smile faded as he saw his big brother standing in the middle of the garden while looking down at the ground with a sad expression. Sonic came to a stop and ran back to his brother in the blink of an eye. "Hey, what's wrong Shadow?" Sonic asked worried. "I'll never be able to catch you, you can ran at the speed of sound and I have no such ability." Shadow replied. "But you're still faster than other kids." Sonic said, trying to cheer his older brother up. "You have a special ability and I'm just a normal kid." Shadow said avoiding eye contact with his younger brother. "You are stronger than me. Your strength is your special ability." Sonic replied with a big smile and hugged his older brother. Shadow was surprised at his little brothers reply but after a few seconds he hugged back. "You're right. Thanks Sonic." Shadow said and Sonic let go of him. "Tag, you're it." Shadow said as he tabbed Sonic's shoulder and ran off. "Hey no fair." Sonic yelled and ran after Shadow. In a blink of an eye he was behind Shadow and tapped him on the shoulder. "No, you're it." Sonic said and quickly changed directions but suddenly crashed into something or someone.

"Woah, Sonic! Please look were you're going." Sapphire said as she helped her younger son up. "Sorry mom." Sonic replied. "Shadow, your dad and I want to give you something." Sapphire said and Shadow looked up at his mother. "What is it?" Shadow asked. "You'll see." Sapphire said with a smile, here smile grew even bigger as Shadow crossed his arms with a 'are you serious' look on his face. "Just follow me." Sapphire ordered and Shadow and Sonic followed her inside the house. Terios was already waiting for the rest of his family inside the house. "Finally." Terios said as Sapphire, Shadow and Sonic entered the house. "Come here Shadow, I have something for you." Terios said, his hands still behind his back. Shadow walked in front of his father and looked up at him. "What are you hiding behind your back?" Shadow asked curiously. "Close your eyes and don't open them before I say so." Terios ordered and Shadow did what he was told. "Mom, what's the surprise?" Sonic asked curiously. "Just watch." Sapphire replied and Sonic turned back to his older brother and his father, who by now has revealed the surprise. "Now open your eyes Shadow." Terios ordered and Shadow opened his eyes. "Why are shoes a surprise? Everyone wears them." Sonic suddenly said as Shadow took the shoes from his fathers hands without saying a word, he was just examining them. "These, Sonic, are special shoes. The shoes are called air shoes. They allow the owner to ran almost as fast as you Sonic." Terios replied. "And? You boys wanna try them outside?" Sapphire asked. "Yeah." Sonic and Shadow said at the same time and already ran to the door, followed by their parents.

As Sapphire and Terios were outside, Shadow had already put on his knew shoes and was looking down at them. "And how do they work?" Shadow asked and looked questioning at his parents. "There's a button on the inside of your right shoe. When you push it you'll hover over the ground and for the rest you have to find out." Terios said with a smile. "But please be careful." Sapphire added and Shadow nodded. Shadow pushed the button with his toes and was suddenly hovering over the ground. "Whoa!" Shadow said as he almost lost his balance. "Cool. Now try running." Sonic said cheerfully. "O-okay." Shadow said and tried skating. "A bit unsteady but at least you didn't kiss the ground at your first try." Terios complimented but at the exact same moment as Terios finished his sentence Shadow fall to the ground. "Shadow you alright?" Sonic asked and helped his older brother up. "Yeah I accidentally pushed the button inside the shoe." Shadow explained. "Now you just have to work on your speed and you and Sonic can race." Sapphire said happily as Shadow activated his air shoes again. A month later he perfected his running style and Sonic and Shadow were finally able to race.