one

lilith rose robby opened her snapchat account for the fifteenth time that evening.

i know what you're all saying: oh my goodness, this child's brain is going to rot! but here's the deal; when you're waiting for your idol to snap you back, your brain is nowhere near as valuable as it usually is.

lilith had been waiting for exactly twenty-two hours, fifty-four minutes, and six seconds for her favorite celebrity, noah schnapp, to give her some sort of recognition. because around twenty-three hours ago, lilith had the privilege of finding that noah, in fact, had a snapchat. his username was simply this: noahschnapp. hers, however, was a bit more fascinating: ohschnappitslilith. sometimes, lilith's friends questioned how healthy it really was to let their dear lilith sit around in front of a screen for hours at a time, waiting for a person that would most likely never respond.

but then they would remember that they all had their own stupid dreams, and continue to let lilith waste away in front of a screen.

but you see, lilith was just about to give up. she thought that almost twenty-three hours was enough for anyone to respond to a snapchat. she had sent him a selfie; just plain, no filter, with the caption "hey, schnippers". lilith was trying to play it cool, but at this point, she was done.

"oh, woe is me," she gasped dramatically, falling back onto her bed. "my life is over."

there was a knock on her window, followed by a muffled voice. "no, it's not, stupid. come over here and open the goddamn window."

lilith shot up from her bed, looking over to her window. "arlo?" she asked, confused.

"yes, now open up! it's cold out here," the boy said demandingly.

arlo mckenna and lilith had been neighbors for as long as they could remember. they had been best friends, sister and brother, and at one point, they had even attended the middle school ball together. but now, they were sophomores, and they had put all of that behind them. they would be best friends forever; at least that's what their cheesy friendship bracelets said. yes, lilith had gotten arlo to wear a friendship bracelet. she was good like that.

lilith opened her window, causing a flustered arlo to come flying through. he stumbled around before sitting on her bed. "so, lilith; what's the problem? you haven't answered any of my texts today!"

lilith cringed, automatically knowing what she had done. "i may have put all of my messages on silent. so i could focus on snapchat."

"why would you wanna focus on snapchat?" arlo asked. he clearly didn't know about lilith's recent obsession; that, or he didn't remember it.

"you know noah schnapp?" lilith questioned.

"that guy who's shooting stranger things?" arlo responded.

"yep, him. he started filming when he was twelve, and now he's a sophomore, like us. but he's still really-"

"lilith, you're ranting again."

"sorry." lilith laughed quietly. "well, i got his snapchat username, and i snapped him about twenty-three hours ago."

"so... what? why are you waiting?" arlo asked.

"i'm waiting for him to respond," lilith answered.

arlo looked slightly annoyed with that. "and why are you waiting around for him? what's so great about noah schnapp?"

lilith was surprised with the sudden breakout. "arlo, he's my idol. i'm just an extreme fan, that's all."

"well, he's really famous, so i wouldn't get your hopes up, if i were you." arlo shook his head slightly, and then flopped back on the bed. "i'm just glad you're safe. you always answer your texts, and when you didn't all day, i got worried."

lilith smiled. "i'm okay, arlo. just tired, and currently swamped with homework."

arlo laughed. "yeah, me too. that's why-"

"hey guys!" a voice shouted from outside lilith's now-closed window. "could you let me in?"

arlo rolled his eyes. "why evan was at my house, helping me study."

lilith chuckled, then walked over to where evan was outside her window. "well, if it isn't my dear evan hansen! look who's waving through a window!"

"oh, shut up!" evan said. "you know that i hate it when people make those broadway musical jokes. just let me inside, please!"

"sorry. you try to speak, but nobody can hear!" arlo shouted from the bed. "so you wait around for an answer-"

"shut your face, arlo!" evan whined. then he turned to lilith. "please, just let me inside. it's freezing out here."

"fine. but we have to listen to the track at least once."

evan grunted. "fine. just please, don't play 'waving through a window' again."

"no promises, hansen."

"i hate you."

lilith opened her window, allowing evan hansen to crawl into her bedroom. he sat with arlo on the bed, while lilith clutched her phone and sat on her beanbag.

"do we need to fill you in on anything, evan?" arlo asked.

"no, i'm fine," evan responded. "i'm well aware of lilith's unhealthy obsession with noah schnapp."

"and you don't think that it's a tad weird?" arlo asked.

"it may be weird, but in all fairness, he's really hot," lilith pointed out.

"she has a point," evan confirmed.

"god, sometimes i forget that you're bi," lilith chuckled, turning to evan.

"well, honey, don't forget it again!" evan said jokingly.

they sat there for a few moments, just in silence. lilith was bummed about not getting a response from noah, but she decided that it was better to hang out with her friends than to wait around for some boy to snap her back.

"so, what did you all do today?" lilith asked evan and arlo. "i sat here in my room, wasting my life on the internet."

"in this dear little town of derry, there isn't many things to do," evan replied. "plus, this is maine. it's too cold to ever do anything anyway."

arlo spoke up. "well, i was with evan, studying for ms. schmidt's math test on monday."

"wait, what? there's a test on monday?!" lilith exclaimed. "i didn't know that!"

"yeah, it's pretty clear that you didn't," evan grinned. "it's okay. arlo and i will help you study, won't we?"

"for sure," arlo confirmed. "let's get started."

"okay," lilith said, setting her phone down and pulling out her notebook. just as her phone hit the nightstand, the screen lit up and there was a "ping" noise. lilith glanced at the screen, then did a double take. she wasn't sure if she was reading the notification correctly.

snapchat: noahschnapp added you back.

snapchat: noahschnapp sent a snap.

a/n: hi everyone! lily and i are really excited to write this book, so we hope you enjoy it! this section was edited and written by me (amelia). thank you all for reading, voting, commenting, and following! bye <3

- amelia