2. Declan

"Well, well where have you been?" I said as I watched Rio walk into the cafeteria late.

"I've been with Principal Jones. I got a detention for cheating." He replied and sat down.

A few of the girls at our table giggled at that.

I smirked at his obvious frustration. Definitely sounds like something that would happen to my best friend.

"Good old Jonesy, eh?" I threw a chicken nugget into my mouth.

Principal Jones was actually a decent man. I would know from my many visits to his office.

The thing about me and Rio is that we get into trouble a lot. But I do it on purpose, I'm always looking for trouble. Rio on the other hand, he just has some bad luck.

Rio was has always been labelled a "class clown". I suppose it suits him well. He's funny, crazy and a bit of a dork.

His label was completely accurate. Mine was probably half accurate.

I've always been labelled into the "bad boy" stereotype. With my leather jacket, motorcycle and bad attitude.

I wouldn't ever call myself shy, but I am quiet and reserved. I don't just talk to anyone. I choose who I want to have a conversation with. I'm not a people person; the opposite of Rio.

"You ready for the game guys?" A guy, Bradley from the school's Rugby team asked.

"Hell yeah I am!" Rio shouted and banged his fist on the table loudly.

I winced at the noise.

Rio and I were in the school's Rugby team. As much as I enjoyed it, I couldn't be bothered with the commitment. Do you ever just have those days where you can't be bothered?

The guys on the team were fine. I didn't speak to them much. Honestly anyone would've thought I'd be best friends with all of them, considering the whole team was just made out of popular jocks, and we all sat at the same table everyday.

This school was the biggest cliché. It would of fit right in with a high school movie set in the USA. Too bad  for the school this was Australia.

All the popular girls and boys on the one table. I had a struggle tolerating everyone of them. Rio was enough for me.

Popular kids were the top of the social hierarchy, but I was an odd one out, though. I and everyone else could sense it. No one ever dared saying a word to me, in fear that I might crush them. Which I totally can and would, considering my boxing history.

Rio was laughing boisterously about some shit I couldn't care less about. Whilst I scowled at my crappy, cold cafeteria food.

-

I woke to the sound of birds chirping. Not because they were outside but inside. In fact the birds were less than 3 meters away. I peered open my sleepy eyes and looked at the bird cage. It had a two budgerigars in it.  And fuck, the budgies were loud when they wanted to be. Why couldn't he just leave the cage out side? Other people with birds as pets do it.

Last night I crashed at Rio's house. We shared his queen bed since it was big enough for the two of us.

Rio's room was filled with animals. Two budgies, a turtle and about a hundred fish.

Rio also had a cat.  Well, it was the family cat. The cat's name was Tabby, he was my favourite. He was an overweight, friendly, loving cat.

I looked over Rio sleeping peacefully. He was a lot less annoying when he's asleep but somehow, he was still irritating even when he was unconscious.

His hair was all in his face and his mouth was slightly parted and I swear I could see a bit of drool.

Nice to know one of us slept well.

I always put a pillow in the middle of the bed to seperate us.

Rio, was not a calm sleeper. He always thrashed around, unknowingly bumping me and somehow the pillow between us always ended up on the floor.

I could feel the weight of one of his legs that were thrown over me. I didn't mind that as much. It was warm and comforting.

Whenever Rio slept over at my place I always put a spare mattress on the floor for him to sleep on. Only because I have a single bed in my room and no aircon or fan, just a window. It gets really hot.

I sat up and carefully moved his leg off of me.

He mumbled incoherently and rolled over.

I didn't want to wake him just yet. He was too energetic in the morning for me to deal with.

I made my way down stairs to find Rio's siblings. Sydney, was the oldest, being twenty two. And then there was Paris who was six.

I was pretty comfortable being at Rio's house. It was really just a second home.

"Declan!" Paris squealed.

"Shhh, you'll wake up doofus upstairs," I whispered.

She giggled. I knew she absolutely adored me.

"I'm afraid it's too late. I'm awake and I heard you." Rio just happened to enter the room at that time.

"Damn it," I cursed.

"So what's the plan for today?" He asked.

I gave him a confused look.

"You idiot it's Friday, you're off to a school," Sydney chided and shook her head.

"What? I though it was Saturday." Mumbled Rio.

"Anyway, even if it was Saturday you would be going to school. You've got a detention," I stated.

Rio groaned.

"I've got pancakes for you guys." Sydney offered us both a plate of food.

"Sweet, thanks," I said.

Sydney often made us breakfast, since their parents left for work early.

I watched Rio as he sneakily grabbed the last blueberry of his little sister's plate.

"Rio! That was my last blueberry." Paris huffed and crossed her arms.

Rio had a smug grin on his face. "Snooze you lose."

"Here have one of mine" I passed her one.

"Thanks, Declan." Paris smiled at me and then stuck her tongue out at Rio.

I'm obviously the favourite here.

------------------------