5. Rio

I was playing with my budgies when Sydney called out my name

"Rio, Declan's here. Get your big ass down stairs!"

Aw, Syd is so lovely.

"Come on, pretty birdies," I cooed. "You guys have got to go back in your cage. I'm going to school now."

It sucked having to say goodbye to my pets when I leave for school. I love them to death and I just wanted to spend all day with them.

I hurried down the stairs to find Declan waiting for me in the living room. He had styled his hair the way I liked. Well, it's not that he 'styled' it really, it was actually not styled at all. It was a look only he could pull off; effortlessly messy but attractive bed hair. But I'm not going to tell him that I like his hair like this. He would tease me endlessly.

Declan's hair did not match the school uniform, which was polished and tidy. No, scratch that. Declan himself didn't match the school uniform. It didn't look bad on him. He just didn't suit it. In fact, Declan always got told off to fix his uniform. Our shirts had to be tucked into our trousers, which he always left untucked. He wore black Converse, which wasn't allowed. We had to wear completely black leather proper dress shoes. He also wore his leather motorbike jacket, that he just refused to take off.

"Come on, Rio. I left the car running with the heater on," He said as I approached him.

Outside, I could feel the cold nipping at my toes even through my shoes. I practically ran to his car, so I could get warm again. It wasn't winter, it was autumn, but that time of autumn where you couldn't tell if it was going to be hot or cold the next day. The weather here had some serious mood swings.

One thing that annoyed me about being in the car with Declan is that he constantly flicks through the radio. I swear, he just about hates every song.

"Just pick a damn station and leave it," I mumbled.

I could feel a sneeze coming.

You know how people say that you should say 'lemons' or something right before you sneeze? Well, for me it doesn't bloody work.

So I let out a sneeze that sounded like a war cry. Sinus, I tell you.

"Fuck," Declan shouted and the car swerved slightly to the right.

"Woah, what did you do that for?" I asked.

"You scared the shit out of me, dude. That is not a normal sneeze." He said.

I laughed.

-

"You know..." Eyelet was saying, "We should go to that party on Saturday night."

She hooked her leg around mine underneath the table.

"Who's party?" I asked.

"Umm, I still don't know everyone's names yet but it's some girl in our grade's eighteenth."

I nodded.

There wasn't a lot of parties that happened amongst our school. There were some parties thrown by people in other local schools and colleges but not much.