12: like kings

Heading to the shitty rundown motel across the lot from the diner, Valerie turned in confusion when Kai held open the passenger door for her.

"What are you doing? I thought we were staying in the motel for the night." Valerie asked backtracking.

Pointing inside, Kai revealed, "We're staying somewhere else tonight."

Sliding past Kai, Valerie lowered through the door, skepticism apparent. "Where?"

Slamming the door, Kai smiled at nothing in particular and made his way round the car. Jumping into his seat, Kai replied, "You'll see."

They drove for maybe 10 minutes off the highway route, into a city centre, passed empty strips and shopping centres.

Pulling up to a monster of a hotel, Kai swung the car into the empty valet area and proudly declared, "This is a five star hotel. And it's completely ours."

Stepping out of their vehicle, Valerie scaled the mass of building with her eyes. The place was massive and looked to have at least 30 floors. "How did you find this place?"

"After 18 years of traveling, I've found quite a few hidden treasures like this."

Strolling into the huge lobby, Valerie took in the luxurious golden decor. The entire building was decked out in gold. Heading straight for the elevator, Kai pushed, "Come on, we're going up."

Following behind him, she admired all she could, "You been here a lot?"

Stood waiting for the elevator to arrive, Kai admonished, "A little."

The golden doors pulled back and they both stepped inside. Even though she was trapped in a prison world with a real life murdering psycho, it didn't feel like it and Valerie was all for ignoring reality.

Turning to face the doors again, she waited for Kai to press which floor they were ascending to. "Floor 29?"

Giving her a big, all toothy grin, Kai relished, "Yup, straight to the top. Penthouse suite baby."

Trying and failing to hide her excitement, Valerie began tapping her feet in tune with the cringey elevator tunes. Looking up from the floor, she felt like a dear in headlights seeing Kai's intense stare watching her reflection in the gold plated walls.

Following his line of sight, she stared right back at him in the mirrored surface, a knowing smile on her lips. Angling her body so she could look directly at his face, she imposed, "So what's on the on the roster for tonight?"

Considering her from his height, Kai sauntered into the hallway. Valerie had been so enamored with simply admiring his face she hadn't even heard the opening ping of the elevator. Trailing behind him, she took in the luxurious decor.

"We're going to dine and sleep like kings." Kai promised.

Lounging on a giant bed, Valerie was dining on chocolate covered strawberries and drinking champagne. She couldn't even name the size of the bed she was currently on. She didn't even know beds this big existed. She was lying with her head propped on her elbow amongst the large pile of pillows whilst Kai lay on the other side in the opposite direction.

Taking a drink of champagne, Valerie pointed out, "You're not drinking?"

Crunching into a strawberry, Kai reminded her, "I'm driving." Rolling onto his back he placed his folded arms underneath his head.

Jumping up onto her knees, Valerie changed directions to lie beside him. "I know you're driving but it's not like you're going to be pulled over."

Tilting his head, she watched his face. He'd started to get a breakout of slight stubble on his upper lip. "I know I won't get pulled over Valerie. We're the only people here, I could do whatever I wanted." Valerie thought his eyes caught on her lips for a second but then he met her eyes, "How drunk are you? You've only had what, 3 glasses of champagne and you're wasted."