Wattpad Original

Chapter 19

Since I wasn't trying to confuse my trail, we were able to head straight back. Even at our slower pace, we made good time, although it still took us twenty minutes to reach the group.

We slowed down before entering the clearing, lest we scare the humans who were fidgeting nervously as they glanced between the dead Terror and the surrounding forest.

Chloe spotted me and raced over, prancing in front of me with a wagging tail. This was the happiest greeting I'd ever had from her, although this was also the first time I had disappeared for so long without leaving her bone behind.

Nicky stood up when she saw us. "About bloody time. We were beginning to wonder if we had to call search and rescue. Nina said you were the fastest around, but unless my watch is messing with me again, you were gone for almost an hour. That is not fast in my books when you're trying to catch up to someone who just left."

Daniel gave me an "I told you so" look. "Are you sure we can't leave her behind?"

"Nah. She tends to keep Ben in line. Without her, he would be a royal pain in the ass."

Ben winced and opened his mouth to object, but when Hank nudged him with an elbow, he wisely closed it without a word. As Nicky walked over to me, she looked me up and down.

"Huh. He didn't even have to tie you up and drag you back. The next time you decide to go on a long vacation, I will be the one coming after you."

My instincts didn't handle people bossing me around well, and they certainly didn't take threats well. Especially from someone who wasn't a match for me. Nor did I have any patience to spare at the moment.

With a light growl, I swiftly ducked down and threw her over my shoulder. Daniel watched me with sharp eyes, ready to intervene if I had problems with my control.

Nicky kicked her legs and pounded her fists on my back. "Put me down, you big moose!"

It took me five swift steps to reach the spot where Hank was sitting, and I unceremoniously dumped her on his lap. "You get to look after her for a while."

Hank winced as he caught the spitfire. If anyone stood a chance of keeping her out of mischief, it was him. Ben edged away from the three of us lest I include him in this fiasco.

She looked up at Hank with a grin. "Hey, big boy. I guess you're stuck with me now, huh?"

He blinked slowly at her, unsure of how to respond and clearly wishing I would have picked someone else for babysitting duty. I shook my head and turned to face the sound of small footsteps running toward me.

Liz's small body slammed into my legs as she cheerfully shouted, "You came back! Daniel said he would bring you back!"

He did, did he? I sent him a half-glare while replying to Liz, "Yes, Daniel managed to talk me into coming back."

Nicky jumped off Hank's lap. "All right! Let's get this show on the road, because I am not camping beside that dead guy tonight!"

They must have been waiting for Daniel and me since everyone immediately began picking up their backpacks and bags. Liz lifted her arms, and I put her on my shoulders with a resigned sigh. The group started walking and spread out along the deer trail again. Like before, Daniel took the lead while I brought up the rear.

Nina walked beside Daniel and spoke quietly. It was too quiet for the others to realize they were having a discussion, but I could hear her well enough.

"You were gone quite a long time."

"I was trying to track her scent, but she sent me on a wild goose chase." He glanced over his shoulder with a half-accusing and half-amused expression, knowing I could hear their conversation even if no one else could.