Wattpad Original

Chapter 86

"Watch where you're walking!" an angry voice from below exclaimed.

"Hey, you ran into me, not the other way around. But I have things to do and places to be, so if you and your lackeys would kindly move, I need to get going."

"It can't be that important that you run visitors over."

"Well, it's important enough to me. Besides, if I'd been going faster than a walk, I would have rebounded off someone as big as you. Now, if you and your friends would kindly move your derrieres so I can get by, I'll get out of your way."

I sighed at Nicky's gracious and insulting demeanor. And, of course, she had to bump into a few of the traders. Life would be too simple otherwise.

"You talk to traders like that?" the angry man demanded. "I'm amazed no one has taught you manners yet. A shrimp like you should know better."

Now focused on the argument, I turned my head. Unfortunately, the plywood siding on the railing blocked my sight. The voice plucked at my memories, sounding almost familiar. Have I met this man before? A couple of the archers beside the railing leaned over to look at whoever was below us.

"I am not a shrimp! I'm short! There's a huge difference between the two. For starters, I don't live in water."

"What kind of comeback was that? Pathetic. Please tell me you aren't one of the people they're trying to send back with us. The last thing we need is a village idiot in our Stronghold."

I growled lowly as I stood up. I didn't care if someone annoyed Nicky, but insulting her was crossing a line. Especially if this man was who I thought he was.

Faintly alarmed by my scowl, several of the archers also got to their feet, glancing between me and the group below. It only took me four steps to reach the railing and jump onto the wide top beam. As I scrutinized the group below, I sat down with my legs hanging over the side. Falling wasn't a concern with my Nightstalker balance, and even if I did miscalculate, it wasn't high enough to harm me.

Nicky and a larger man were apparently having a standoff while half a dozen others were scattered in a loose semi-circle behind their ringleader. Well, if the guards ever needed a reason to avoid having me take a shift in the guard towers, I'm about to show them why it isn't wise to involve me in civilian peacekeeping.

Holding out a hand, I quietly asked one of the archers, "Can I borrow your water bottle for a moment?"

My request baffled him, but he tossed it over. I unscrewed the lid as I leaned forward for a better view of the man below. Yep. That's definitely him. His demeanor sure hasn't improved any.

In an almost casual fashion, I tipped the bottle so the long stream of water cascaded down onto the brown-haired irritant below. It splattered as it hit his head, and the resulting spray also hit most of his friends, with enough to spare to give Nicky a reprimand as well.

The man staggered back, wiping water off his head and out of his eyes, demanding, "What the hell!"

His followers also backed up, spotting me before their ringleader cleared his vision.

The man's furious eyes swiftly found the source of the water. "Who the bloody hell do you think you are? You think you're pretty brave up there, huh? I dare you to come down here and try that again!"

This was the first time I had seen someone – a visitor yet – throw insults so readily. Especially in a place known to have at least one sane zombie. Daniel's presence wasn't exactly a secret, and it didn't usually take much to set a zombie off.

I snorted in disdain, unimpressed with his tough-guy act. "Try actually using your brain for once, Justin. It hasn't been that many years since I beat the crap out of you when you pretended to be the school's toughest football jock. Don't tell me you forgot that lesson about bullying my friends?"